GO!

need to vent: friends dog can't poop, what the vet said

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Ginger- Mystic and- Pixie

What trouble can- we get into- today?

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:15pm PST 
This weekend I got a call from a friend. Her little yorkie can't poop, is trying but can't produce anything. He won't eat anything, is drinking, and going pee. Anyway she called the vet, she was out of town so she couldn't get him to her vet. He told her to boil up some burger and rice and feed that and give the dog an imodium AD. I was like what give him something to stop him up when he is already stopped up? I suggest some chicken liver but that was when I found out he wouldn't eat. She said he is just laying on a pillow on the couch. Isn't his normal happy self, no energy, will go out to go pee then will try to poop but can't produce anything. I didn't know what to tell her other than I was so shocked at her vet. And I would keep her dog in my thoughts and prayers. She will have him into the vets first thing in the morning.
Her dogs are kibble fed, they live on about 10 acres and who knows what the dog could of gotten into before the left for the weekend.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:27pm PST 
Has she tried "matching" him? You wet the end of the matchstick and put it up...erm...under their tail. It causes them to squat to remove it. Never seen anyone do it or done it myself, but I've seen a few different websites make mention of this procedure.

Edited by author Tue Aug 31, '10 4:20pm PST

Approved by forums moderator
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:28pm PST 
Has he vomited? It sounds like Lily when she eats a non food item like a sock. Make sure he stays hydrated and keep the vet appointment unless he recovers by morning. So far, Lily has managed to get rid of foreign things on her own. I'd rather she'd not eat them.
[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:30pm PST 
My dad has a dog that got constipated when she ate some food that the human society donated him (really cheapo stuff)
She was hurting and wouldn't hardly eat either.

I gave him some of the psyllium husk fiber powder I had and told him to put a lil on her food w/some water if he could get her too eat.
He did so, and within a couple of days she was pooping again.

She can get some of that at kroger. It's more expensive than metamucil or benefiber. I just got it bc it doesn't have all the added artificial stuff or wheat in it.

But, she can get one of those just to use long enough to get the dog to go potty.
Also, she could try feeding pineapples, that will help it to go.

The plain food is usually if they have diarrhea so that is weird the vet said that.

Edited by author Sun Aug 29, '10 6:32pm PST

[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:33pm PST 
I think the poor dog has an obstruction. The Vet must have gotten his wires crossed as his advice makes no sense.

Let us know if the pup is okay...
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:35pm PST 
She could try feeding some canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling). About 1-2 tbsp mixed in his kibble. If you can not find pumpkin, then Metamucil will also work. If she does think there is a blockage, she needs to make a vet appointment asap. Poor little guy.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:35pm PST 
Is she taking it to that vet or a different one? I would question a vet that said to give diarrhea meds when a dog is having the opposite of diarrhea.

Hopefully they'll do xrays. Daisy had a bowel obstruction along with literally being full of poop. Her whole large intestine plus some of her small.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 7:13pm PST 
Get the dog to an emergency vet NOW. Don't mess around with home remedies; it could cost him his life.

Especially don't try "matching him" (snip) has she tried "matching" him? You wet the end of the matchstick and put it up...erm...under their tail. It causes them to squat to remove it. Never seen anyone do it or done it myself, but I've seen a few different websites make mention of this procedure (snip)

This procedure is cruel and stupid. The idea is to cause a painful burning sensation in the rectum so the dog will try to get rid of it. Show people have been known to do this to make their dog eliminate when and where they want them to with no training needed.

Good Luck.
[notify]
Loki

My, what big- ears you have

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 7:25pm PST 
What Fritz said. Get him to a vet! Hope the poor pup feel better soon. frown
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 7:44pm PST 
This procedure is cruel and stupid. The idea is to cause a painful burning sensation in the rectum so the dog will try to get rid of it. Show people have been known to do this to make their dog eliminate when and where they want them to with no training needed.

This isn't a method just to make her dog crap without any training or for the owner's convenience.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5