GO!

3 yr old feamle siberian husky stinks real bad

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nikita of- zeus

Nikita If I can- chew it I- will...

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 9:43pm PST 
Our lovely beautifull 3yr old Nikita has recently has developed a real bad smell. She swims a bunch and we have bathed her to try and be rid of that smell.As soon as she dries she stinks again. We have looked every where in the yard. we cant find anything. We havent found one spot that she smells either. We have recently changed her diet would that cause a smell? Please help as were at a loss cause we cant snuggle our baby!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 3:57am PST 
Health, diet, bad teeth, infected ears, skunk/musk, and dead things in the yard.eek

Check her ears, teeth, and annual glands. Stomach problems can cause a bad smell too. If she doesn’t have a health problem and you are feeding a high quality grain free diet, it is likely that she was playing with mister skunk or some other wild animal that can spray musk. Do rule out health before you try any of the remedies for removing odor.
Good Luck
[notify]
Misty *RIP- Mommy's- Angel*

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 4:57am PST 
Is it a certain area that has the smell? Like her face, or paws, or rear? Or is it an all over smell from her skin and fur? Does it smell yeasty, or musky, or pussy/infected? Like Fritz said, most likely culprits if it's a localized smell are ears, eyes, nose, and rear end (anal glands). If it's more of an all over smell (and definitely not a skunk or something) I might check with a vet to be safe, if she swims a lot and there was something yucky in the water she may have developed a skin infection and need medicine to deal with it. Not trying to scare you, but I'm not there to see/smell for myself, so I have to err on the side of caution.
[notify]

Nikita of- zeus

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 7:45am PST 
ok thanks folks. We may end taking her to the vet. We did change her diet and may go back to the ordered food from TLC. Its just so expensive. She doesnt smell from the anal glands( dont ask how I know) or the mouth or ears. its in spots on her coat and always in different spots. Mostly we cannot find the sorce of the smell. We cant find any dead animals in the yard. but it is a musky smell. We also have a Jack Russel (that loves to roll in gross stuff) and she doesnt smell at all. We live near the Grand River and do have a bunch of toads. Nikita does love to paw at them but never have we seen her eat one or roll on them. We dont see any sort of skin infection nor does she scratch at ny time. The sad part is she is a very clean dog and we do belive this smell is effecting her on a social level. She walks with her head down and ears back now. she was a proud dog that always walked with her head up and ears up. Could this smell be effecting her? Thanks for your replys folks. We thank you and sodoes Kita!
[notify]
Zena

PLAY LOTS...Eat- Well...Live Well-

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 8:18am PST 
The one and only time our siberian husky had a general "all over" (not localized) stinky smell was when she caught and ATE a pigeon...she was quite the predator, but normally we'd thwart her attacks or catch her with her "prize" before consumption.

She was the cleanest smelling dog we've ever owned (as in no doggy smells...no smells really) except for the days following her wild snack. It's been nearly a dozen years, so I can't recall how long the smell lasted, but it was stinky and noticeable...literally radiating from her body. Just another thought to add smile
[notify]
Boomer

outta my- way!!!!!!!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 8:24am PST 
I stink too and Mom and Dad can't figure it out Mom gives me yogert for my tummy and she also gives me a suppliment called Missing Link, it seems to help.Mom and Dad think I am just a stinkerblue dogblue dogblue dog I seem to stink only sometimes.I don't get people food anymore as I get really bad Gaseekeekeek from it.My teeth are fine so the vet says and my glands are good so We figure it is the food.
[notify]
Nikita of- zeus

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 8:24am PST 
"The one and only time our siberian husky had a general "all over" (not localized) stinky smell was when she caught and ATE a pigeon...she was quite the predator, but normally we'd thwart her attacks or catch her with her "prize" before consumption.

She was the cleanest smelling dog we've ever owned (as in no doggy smells...no smells really) except for the days following her wild snack. It's been nearly a dozen years, so I can't recall how long the smell lasted, but it was stinky and noticeable...literally radiating from her body. Just another thought to add "

This is what we thought at first too. it has now been almost 3 weeks. we have a summer home 3.5 hrs from here on the Trent river. W ehave waterfront property and both dogs love to swim. When were there she doesnt smell at all. She only smells here at home. Oh and on another note we just ordered the TLC food again. We also joined the VIP program. Its a rewards based programe. So if anyone else feeds tier dogd TLC food mention the Ritchie's from ontaroi canada and we will pick up points on your pruchases. Wich equates to cheaper food for us. we will gladly do the same for anyone else.

Edited by author Fri Aug 20, '10 8:27am PST

[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 8:27am PST 
Stress can cause a sour/foul smell....how is her attitude/stress level at this house? Has anything changed? New person, pets, change in schedule of pets or people? New neighbors?
[notify]
Nikita of- zeus

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 8:31am PST 
Thats a good question. Our 17yr old son went away for 3 weeks to a navy cadet camp. Kita was fine but when he returned ( wich is also aprox when we changed her food) the smell started. Like I said earlier we went back to the TLC food it should arrive by tuesday. Sure hope to see a change. Do dogs get body odour like humans do in the armpits? Its almost a BO smell with a hint of rotten fish.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Aug 20, '10 8:42am PST 
Dogs don't sweat the same way we do so in general we don't usually notice the same sort of BO like people have.

However stress and hormones will elicit certain overall smells that can be pretty strongly fishy or sour. Could she be stressed over your sons return - he may have changed his demenour with her or his interactions with her making her more nervous or stressed?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2