GO!

Pink and swollen paw pad webbing???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 1:26pm PST 
Could this be caused by a matt of hair pushing up into the pad??
seems like both paws are somewhat affected, and its only the front paws, while the back paws don't have the matts like that!

What should I do??
Vet?
Groomer?
something at home first?
heeeelp!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 1:31pm PST 
It most definitely can be the result of a mat between the pads, especially between the ball of the foot and the toe pads. We are always seeing dogs come in with these mats, usually wet and very smelly, and we shave them out and usually apply an antibiotic ointment. Many groomers do not check the bottoms of the feet and leave these mats, so be sure to check your own dogs feet often even if they are routinely groomed! The water and dirt build up are very unsanitary and will contribute to infections of the soft skin between the toes.
Your groomer should be able to remove these mats if you cannot do it yourself. If not, the vet will.
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 3:36pm PST 
OMG you are so making me feel better!!! I was scared by all the "its distemper!" yahhoo answers i kept seeing! even though he has all his shots up to date! =P

My question is, how can I get them out? and yes I think thats definately whats causing it. I've been grooming him myself his whole life(2 years) and never thought much of the little hard matts... I really shouldve...

Question: There is no broken skin, but there is swelling, like the way it would swell if it was a bruise, so I can't imagine getting in there with clippers or trimmers to cut them out, since he would wiggle a lot and jerk around...I was wondering maybe I could use a bikini hair dissolving kit? I happen to have one... and i was thinking that might hurt him less?

Or what other methods could I look into?
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 3:56pm PST 
I would probably just call the local groomers and ask about just having that done and how much it would cost. The safest way is to use a clippers... hair removal stuff is very strong and you already have sensitive skin there, PLUS you have to dissolve all the mat before you could get it out.
We will shave out those mats and do a nail trim for $10. Most other groomers I know are about the same. Your dog is less likely to squirm with a groomer doing it than with you doing it. It should only take a few minutes.
And, yes, I suspect walking on those mats WOULD bruise his feet... it's like walking with a stone in your shoe... it HURTS!
Good luck!
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 6:00pm PST 
Ouchie!!!!! I think I'll do that, I'm completely broke but, I'm sure I can borrow a ten! For future though, would nose hair trimmers be a good idea to use to get rid of those?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 6:13pm PST 
They should work, but if you wash that hair really well and comb it after a bath you can probably safely snip it out with your scissors. It doesn't usually mat until it's really long and gets dirt in it to hold the mat together. There is a certain amount of moisture just because dogs sweat thru their pads. And, it is normally only a problem on the front feet for some reason.
[notify]