GO!

Dog is Chewing Back legs. Need help.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Willow

What can a Long- Brown Dog Do For- You?

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 10:14pm PST 
My sister's dog has been chewing at his back legs and pulling out his pads and nails for about six months now. She has had him to the vet who only gave him an antibiotic for an infection from the chewing and some bitter apple spray. He kept on chewing. She took him to another vet and the second vet gave more antibiotics and a salve called YUK to put on his back legs. He still chews. She went to the vet that did his back surgery a few years back after he fell (he fell off her bed and messed up his back. He had surgery to correct it and he is now unable to use his back legs. He started chewing his back legs about six months ago) and he had no answers for her. She even tried an e-collar and a neck brace to try to prevent him from chewing his back legs, but he still does it (he knows a how to get out of the e-collar and the neck brace).

Has anyone ever experienced this with their dog? What could it be? Any ideas on what to do?
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Sun Aug 15, '10 10:41pm PST 
I put socks on my dog, with a light ace wrap on top of that. Sometimes she insists on trying to get to her legs, but most the time she gets sidetracked with something else and will leave them alone. Good luck in finding what to do to get it off her mind. Hope things get better for your sister's dog.
[notify]
Roxy

Roxy - aka Bob

Barked: Mon Aug 16, '10 11:35am PST 
I have only seen this one time in a Rottweiler with a badly damaged rear leg from being hit by a car. The dog couldn't feel her leg and proceeded to try to chew it off. Ultimately we couldn't wait to see if her nerves repaired themselves, we had to amputate the leg. I am assuming that your sisters dog can't feel his rear legs either? That would explain why he is able to mutilate his feet so badly and not experience terrible pain. It's possible that he has some feeling, like the pins and needles sensation that we have when our foot falls asleep. This may be the sensation that is driving him to chew. Aside from putting the e-collar on very tightly, I have no good ideas for you.
[notify]