GO!

Dizziness and vomiting, then better- E-Vet?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Sat Jul 31, '10 3:24pm PST 
Today has been a pretty normal day here, the weather is nice, about 65 degrees, and no changes in diet for Ollie.

We went on a walk, then when we got home Ollie took a nap in his crate. He woke up and was really dizzy and couldn't walk straight or hardly stand up. About 20-30 seconds later he threw up what was left of his breakfast in his tummy. Nothing unusual in there.

As we were rushing around preparing to take him to the E-Vet, he got his legs back under him. For a few minutes he was still walking a little crooked but now (maybe 8 minutes after this happened) he is walking normally just with his tail tucked. For a few minutes after he was drooling a whole lot, but now he is drooling less, and as I've typed this he has stopped panting even. We checked his pupils and they are fine.

I called our vet and they said they didn't know if we should take him in or not, but that they were closing in a few minutes so they'd have to refer us to the E-Vet. Our backup vet in our area is closed.

Here is the delimma, we love Ollie a ton and want only what is best for him, regardless of cost. However, I don't have a real job this summer so money is tight plus hubby (who would have to drive since I can't) has a ton of grading to do for his class as grades are due very soon. If we need to go to the E-vet, we'll go. But if we don't need to, we'd rather save the money and hubby needs to be grading.

Any advice? The longer after the incident, the more back to normal he is, so that makes me think it is likely not poisoning.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Jul 31, '10 3:42pm PST 
If you are pretty sure he hasn't had anything unusual I'd just give it a while.

Bella acts just like you describe when she throws up.

Daisy does some weird tongue protruding/licking thing.

Just give him water and hold his feeding tonight. Int he morning try a small amount (like a handful) of his food and see how he acts. Or try bland rice and chicken in the morning.

Dogs are supposed to be able to take dramamine for vomiting. Maybe you could catch the vet in time to ask the dose?

Edited by author Sat Jul 31, '10 3:43pm PST

[notify]
Ollivander

Barked: Sat Jul 31, '10 3:56pm PST 
Thank you for the reassurance!

I called a friend who is a vet tech, and she thinks also it is likely not to need a trip to the E-vet, but she recommended some H2O2 to make him throw up again just in case it was something he ate. So far we've given him about 2 Tbsps and no throwing up, but I'm not comfortable giving him any more than that, so we are just sitting in the kitchen together hanging out.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 4:55am PST 
It sounds like a seizure to me. One of my labs used to have this type of seizure. They only occured when he woke up, and the vomiting was not always present. Because they were so mild we opted to not treat with pheno or other anti-seizure meds and he lived a long and normal life, except for an occasional seizure. Because they only occured upon waking, they never affected his "normal" life routine.
[notify]
Ollivander

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 8:49am PST 
Thanks for the response, Toto. I hope it wasn't a seizure! I hope this was a one time thing. He was seeming hungry last night so we gave him dinner and he kept it down and all. So I am hoping that is the end of it.
[notify]
Brutus

Tennis ball,- tennis ball,- tennis ball...

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 8:56am PST 
I don't know about a seizure.. if it was a seizure it was a very small one, thats for sure! I would just take it easy for a while and make sure he is still eating and drinking. If you notice him getting worse (panting hard, getting more lethargic) take him to the vet as this may be an illness.

Keep us posted! Hope he's alright!
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 11:04am PST 
As dogs age they can have small episodes of "ODVD" or old dog vestibular disease - it is often characterized by holding the head tilted or "funny", unsteady on feet, nauseau and general weirdness. Dogs can get better on their own and the only treatment for it is anti-emetics (no vomiting) or "carsickness" pills like meclazine.

Even if it were a seizure (which I don't think it was) there is little reason to go to any vet once he's actiing fine. First time seizures or any singular seizure lasting less than 5 minutes do not require vet visits unless the pet has injured themself or other symptoms are present. There is no emergency treatment for seizures and (unless cuased by a medical process like low blood sugar) there is usually no immediete test to diagnose if what you saw was a seizure.

Since dogs can have seizures or vestibular episodes and get better on their own I would suggest monitoting Ollie for now and obviosuly seeking medical attention if something changes for the worse or he remains "sick" for a long period of time.

Hope this helps!

Also keep in mind that vestibular episodes or seizure episodes are more likely to occur in tired or over-stimulated animals so keep Ollie is a "zen" like state!! Low light, calming noises, you calm etc will help him to calm and hopefully avoid any more episodes.

Good Luck
[notify]
Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Sun Aug 1, '10 6:51pm PST 
Crossing our paws for you Ollie..
The Dog and Cat Hospital in Berkeley is 24/7 and very good. Hope you recover soon, Jojo and sonjawishes
Ollivander

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 11:14am PST 
Thanks for all the good thoughts! After that one incident he's been totally fine, same goofy old Ollie! The vet says I don't need to bring him in today, it was probably just a really upset tummy. If it happens again, of course we will go in.

I don't think it is an old-dog vestibular disease because Ollie just turned 2! I know he is silver so he might look older, but he is still a puppy in a lot of ways- especially during agility class!

I'm so happy it turned out to be nothing serious since we are leaving on Thursday for a service dog gathering with 80 other service dogs!
[notify]
Buddy- Doughnut- *CGC*ESA*

I\'m Jelly- Filled! *Gone- But Not Forgote

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 12:07pm PST 
Glad Ollie is feeling better! Hopefully is doesn't happen agian!hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2