GO!

Our Dachshund's Back Surgery and Recovery

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cola

It's all about- me!

Barked: Mon Jul 19, '10 3:42pm PST 
Cola (Our miniture dachshund) started having back problems around the first of July. It started by her refusing to go down stairs and progressed into her not wanting to move more than she had to, so we took her into the vet.

The vet told us that it was a disc problem right away and gave her an x-ray. They then showed us that by an x-ray you could see that on of her disc had slipped and possibly ruptured. They gave us steroids and muscle relaxers and told us to come back if there was no improvement within a week.

She immediately seemed to be doing much better for about a day and a half, but the muscle relaxers made her very wobbly-so the vet told us to stop giving them to her. Soon there after, her back legs totally gave out. She could no longer walk! She was dragging her back legs behind her everywhere we went. We became extremely concerned and took her back to vet ASAP. They told us that she would probabley need surgery if she didn't start walking soon-and the surgery was going to be 8,000-10,000 dollars, which of course was way out of the question.

I decided to take her to a new vet who agreed with the first on surgery, but she gave me a new estimate on price. About 1400 for an MRI and 2000 for surgery and aftercare. She also gave me the option on CareCredit so I could pay off the surgery like a credit card! It was a lifesaver for Cola.

The next day as soon as we got the approval from CareCredit we took her to get her MRI. I sat in the waiting room for hours waiting to make sure her surgery was operable-and when they said it was a ruptured disc and that we could take her to the surgeon that day-it was a huge relief!

We were grateful to have the most genuinely nice and caring surgeon who was very confident in Cola. He did the surgery and then kept her for about 3 and half days. We were so excited to pick her up. Our poor Cola had about a four inch scar with 12 staples and a completely shaved back. Her take-home instructions included various leg exercises and massages for us to do with her 4 times a day, or more.

She has been very whiney and extremely anxious. We believe she is now having abandonment issues because she will not be left alone. The second night home she totally destroyed the carpet we put under her play pin we have set up for her in the living room. This has been a huge problem for us, and we are hoping that it goes away but I would love to hear anyones advice or if they are having similar problems with abandonment issues and their dog?

Cola is now 9 days post-op and she is getting her staples taken out tommorow. She has fully regained use of her right leg and tail. She can push off the couch and get around much better than she could but her left leg is still very stiff (we do many exercises with her too) and is giving her problems so she is still unable to walk. We are scared she won't gain use of her left leg fully again. Has anybody else went through this surgery or exoperienced something similar with their dog? Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks so much for reading!

Kelli and Cola.
[notify]
Sydney- (2000-2012)

On Patrol

Barked: Mon Jul 19, '10 3:54pm PST 
Hi Kelli and Cola,

I had back surgery last November. Unfortunately it was not successful and now I am in a cart. I am still a happy dog though!

Boy, the stories my mom and dad could tell about my surgery and recovery. Definately no fun. The whole experience was much worse than expected. I wasn't myself for weeks. That's not counting my incontenence! I cried a lot, I think because I was so uncomfortable. After about a month, things were much better.

I hope you have a successful recovery. Keep with the exercises. I started water therapy after about a month. I didn't like it, but I know other doggies who had success with it.

Good luch and hang in there!
[notify]
Roxy

Roxy - aka Bob

Barked: Tue Jul 20, '10 11:59am PST 
What do you mean when you say "she can push off the couch"? You are not letting her jump down from the couch are you????? How much time lapsed between her being unable to walk and her having surgery? The longer the spinal cord is fully impinged, the less chance you have of a complete recovery. If she is using one leg and her tail you then she is doing well. Does she have control of her bowels and bladder? You are only 9 days out from major surgery - it sounds like she is doing well. Good luck!! big grin
[notify]

Ch. Luke, in memory.

Luke--- the dog talking

Barked: Tue Jul 20, '10 12:16pm PST 
Wow, when my Frenchie's have back issues, even without surgery, they are on complete cage rest for a minimum of three weeks... 9 days post op you are leaving her in an ex-pen???? Sounds like she may be doing too much????
I know it can take MONTHS for improvement from back surgery. It sounds like you girl is doing very well for the short time it has been. But, I would definitely keep her off the couch until after you clear that with her surgeon... any jumping is definitely a no no!!!
[notify]
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Tue Jul 20, '10 4:51pm PST 
i really recommend click for link to wimpy's forum there is a back injury forum and wow, the people there are experts.
i have done a lot of reading, but have no experience of my own. i do know they say 'crate jail' is turning out to be almost as effective as surgery (of course depending on the injury)..
dodgerslist.com is awesome as well, there are videos, testimonials, all the facts and latest treatments.
it does take some time for some doggies to recover, so by all means do not give up hope!
there are many at wimpy's who use swimming as a rehab, i hope you go there, they are waiting for you! blue dog
Power of the Paw cutie, i'm sending a ppr!
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Tue Jul 20, '10 7:40pm PST 
I have not been through this but have researched it since I have a dachshund.

A good site is dodgerslist.com It has a lot of helpful info.
[notify]
Cola

It's all about- me!

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 7:54pm PST 
It's taken me so long to respond but the "pen" we are leaving her in is not big enough to let her walk around. It is small and was recommended by the doctor. When I say Cola is pushing off the couch I mean she is using her one foot to push her body up, there is no way I am letting her jump off the couch! That is most likely the reason she needed the surgery in the first place. Tganks everyone for the advice and good wishes, Cola is doing great now. She is walking all over the place, we have trouble slowing her down, although she does walk a little drunk she is getting better everyday! She probabley will never be allowed to walk down or up stairs anymore or jump, but let me tell you she tries! Anyways thank you and I hope this may help someone who has a dog with a back surgery question in the future! Thank you all again!
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 6:27am PST 
wave
[notify]
Maxine

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 12:32am PST 
My 6 1/2 year old miniature dachshund Maxine injured her back while we were on a trip 8 hours from our hometown in May 2010. I still have no knowledge of how this injury occurred. She suddenly lost movement in her rear left leg. It was late in the afternoon and I wasn't sure what was going on. After contacting the local vet I decided to wait until the morning before taking her in and just keep her quiet the rest of the night. Upon waking the next morning, Max had lost movement in both her rear legs and was in a great deal of pain. Anyone who has dealt with this situation understands the panic that ensues. To make a long story short, after being told the only option for my dog to walk again by 3 different veterinarians in southern California was a $5000-$6000 surgery that at best had a %50 chance of success I was distraught. I was told because 2 days had gone by since the injury occurred, the chances of the surgery working had greatly decreased. I was approved for a $5000 care credit card and was about to rush her to a surgeon nonetheless. I decided to give a close friend of mine who is a vet tech at clinic in my hometown a call and give him the bad news. He informed me that they had treated dogs with spinal injuries with "intravenous steroid blasting" at a fraction of the cost ($750) with high success. I got in the car and drove through the night to get her to them the following morning. She was examined and omitted that morning, still without the ability to stand or urinate (she was at least heavily medicated for pain). They kept her on the intravenous steroids overnight and through the next day (appx. 24hrs). He brought her home to me that night. I couldn't believe what I saw. Max could stand, granite she was staggering like a drunk as she attempted to walk, she was up. She urinated for me that evening and after feeding her some pure pumpkin defecated the following morning. I was told to keep her on strict cage rest for at least 8 weeks. She wasn't happy at first, but then got used to the routine. I must emphasize the importance of the cage rest. I actually kept her in the cage except to go to the bathroom for 10 weeks. Max was ready to go full blast after a month, but I stuck to it and didn't let her out.
Today, Maxine is her normal self. It is as if the injury never happened. She is again chasing cats and squirrels across my backyard as she always had. I still try to keep her from jumping on the couches/beds, but her recovery has been amazing.
Surgery is not the only option when this kind of injury occurs. Always get as many opinions as you can, as quickly as possible. I had one vet tell me that the only thing to save her mobility was surgery, and if it was her dog it would have already been done. She made me feel horrible. I understand that this procedure may not always be the best option, but it worked fantastically for Maxine. Don't give up hope! I cannot begin to express my appreciation to the magnificent staff of the pet clinic that treated Maxine.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 4:29am PST 
smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2