GO!

Dog ate corn cob last night--could it cause obstruction?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 12:17pm PST 
Gus got a corn cob and ate it last night . . . now I feel like an idiot for letting her get it, cause I've been reading the pieces could cause obstruction . . .eek

So far she seems fine, normal poop this morning, but I realize she could still get a blockage at this point.

Has anyone else's dog eaten a corn cob and what should I watch for and for how long?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 12:29pm PST 
Ooh Gus! Corn cobs can indeed cause a blockage. They are in the top 10 indigestible things removed through surgery (PetPlace.com) Did she eat it whole, or chew it first? Look for panting, heaving, discomfort, difficulty(or no) eliminating. Keep your eye on her & hopefully others will chime in soon. Too bad Leah is on a hike today, she'd have great advice. Good luck. Sending POTP &hug
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 12:35pm PST 
Yikes, Squ'mey! shock She did chew it up, so maybe that's better . . .

It hasn't been quite 24 hrs. . . so far she's not seeming off, but I assume she's not out of danger yet . . . Great . . .naughty
[notify]

Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 12:37pm PST 
Yikes. I'd give a lovely snack with some oil poured on it. When Lily has an obstruction, she either won't eat or vomits anything she eats. She will have one normal poo - my guess it's what was past the blockage, then nothing until the item is pooed out or vomited up.

If Gus can't drink or becomes lethargic, then get her to the vet. I usually let Lily go a few days as long as she feels good.

Why anm I experienced? Lily is a fearful dog and if something makes her nervous, she will eat a fabric toy or a sock or whatever. So far she has handled it on her own. A corncob may be more abasive than a sock.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 12:42pm PST 
Unfortunatley Corn Cobs are one of the biggest obstruction causers especially during the summer! If they are swollowed whole or in large pieces they often are unable to pass through the small intestine. The small intestine is the most common area for obstruction as it is a very small (hence the name) diameter compared to the large intestine.

If you know he ate it without chewing an obstruction is possible. Unfortunatley, unless they suggest a scope (which is usually not likely with a cob as they are large pieces making it tough to pull back out the throat) the is little you can do until he either passes it on his own or starts having obstruction symptoms.

Some people try a padding diet to help coat the cob and make it easier to pass. Padding diets include large slices of wheat bread or boiled rice. I personally think the wheat bread works better. Make sure he is on a "poop watch" so that you know how many times he goes, what comes out and home much is likely still inside.

Time can sometimes be tough. Foreign material will sometimes bounce around in the stomach before making it out and into the intestines. I have seen undigestable stuff hang out in the stomach for 3-4 days or even longer before entering the GI tract. Once in the small intestine it usually takes about 12-24 hours to pass as long as the pet is well hydrated and has good motility.

GI foreign bodies or obstructions will cause lots of vomiting but NOT diarrhea (as the GI system is blocked not allowing stool production). However they may have 1 normal stool just after blocking since it is already in the GI tract ready to be expelled. In a foreign body situation the pet will be unable to hold down any liquid or food that enters them. Dehydration will actually make a FB worse or possibly more likely. IE items may be able to pass on own once a pet is admmitted to the hospital and placed on IVF if dehydrated at all.

Most ER's (unless you want to try GI scope like I mentioned above but as I said they usually like to use this for small items like coins or jewelry or soft items like socks and panties) will not suggest coming in until symptoms have started since there are definite possibilities it could pass on its own. HOWEVER once vomiting starts get in ASAP. I don't want to scare you but I have seen pets die from corn cob FB's, they usually have been sick for days to weeks before being treated but death is possible. Obvioulsly since you are asking this is less likely in Gus's case but just make sure to seek medical attention if anything goes wrong or Gus is not feeling well/vomiting.

At home I would start a padding/bland diet (WW bread and boiled rice/beef/chicken) and a poop watch and provide tons of fresh H20 (possibly add to food too) to keep hydration up and sit back and watch...
[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 12:45pm PST 
Lily - be careful with oil as in some small dogs it can cause pancreatitis - thats why I prefer the padding diet of WW bread - basically does the same thing
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 12:51pm PST 
Thanks, Leah so much! I had no idea about the dangers of corn cobs, but then started getting paranoid today . . .

The poop watch is easy, cause we always go on walks and she goes very dependably twice a day . . .

She was chewing on the corn cob . . . so I can only hope she broke it up . . .

I will try the diet you suggest and keep a very close watch and call my vet too!
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 12:57pm PST 
I feel bad now, as a kid, my grandparents' neighbors had a golden retriever we used to play with. He would do tricks for corncobs. He'd probably chew up and eat 10-15 cobs when we were out there. As far as I know he never got sick... Poor Denver!
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 3:14pm PST 
Thank you for the warning, Leah. Lily is not a small dog. I hesitate to give her much oil with her history of IBS, but a blob of coconut oil makes me feel like I'm doing something. Why do I worry about her IBS and colitis? It's been almost three years! Horrible memories, I guess.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 4:03pm PST 
Sarah - Broken up they are not really a threat - its when they swallow them whole that they become like a giant GI cork in the intestines. Your GRT most likely chewed them up completley and that is why they didn't make him sick!

Lily - Thats why I use the padding diet - it makes me feel like I am doing something - Sometimes I think that -athomecare- is mostly about making people feel like they are doing something for their pet!wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3