GO!

Paw Pads...what to use to make them not so rough?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gunner

Hey Dum Dum- Get the Cat !

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 8:51am PST 
Is there anything out there for dog paws that will make them less rough and dry?
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 10:27am PST 
Gunner, if pads are rough/dry they wont do their job... rough/dry/thick pads make walking on rocks/hot pavement/mulch/wooded areas with sticks/etc easier on the dog. Soft pads dont protect the dog as well... so long as they aren't cracking and bleeding... it shouldn't be a problem...
[notify]
Nash *ADOPTABLE*

Adoptable!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 11:46am PST 
Like Shane stated nothing wrong with tough feet! I do know a lot of people that use Paw Guard here though for chapped pads.

Link
[notify]

Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 11:58am PST 
I used to wonder about this too . . . mostly when she puts her scratchy paw pads on me, but I noticed on closer inspection that if you rub your hand across them one direction they are smooth and in the opposite direction they are rough . . . . they almost have a fine raspy surface like a cat's tongue, so it looked very normal when I saw it that way.

Don't know if all the other dogs "rough" pads are like that, but I thought it was kinda cool.

I'm so used to my dog's pads now, I'm sorta taken aback when I feel friends dog's feet and they're baby soft . . .laugh out loud
[notify]
Colton

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 12:14pm PST 
Coconut oil works really well to soften rough paw pads. You can also use beeswax if coconut oil isn't available.
[notify]
Shooter Wilson

Mr.Positivity

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 12:16pm PST 
i use bag balm. smile

eta: i agree- nothing wrong with tough pads! Shooters are smooth, but not soft like a puppy's.

whenever there are dogs at work (dog daycare) and they have REALLY soft/smooth paws like a pup, i can pretty much assume that they do not go outside very often. and I am usually right...they usually have owners that drop them off at daycare for their daily 'exercise'

Edited by author Sat Jun 19, '10 12:18pm PST

[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 4:58pm PST 
I haven't tried Bag Balm but do hear it's very good.

I have used Protecta Pad with a lot of success. I had first purchased it for my chinchilla that would get bloody feet from standing on his ledges all the time and it would make his feet better with one application.

Last time I checked it was only 6.00 or so.
[notify]
Dustin

Beautiful Buhund

Barked: Mon Jun 21, '10 3:23am PST 
Only Natural Pet Soothe & Shield Paw Balm

Pawz Biodegradable Natural Dog Boots

Musher's Secret All Natural Paw Protection Wax

Pal Dog Soothing Balm
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Tue Jun 22, '10 8:55pm PST 
This is the 4th vote for Bag Balm I think.
Cheap, can buy it at pharmacy or pet store, multi use, safe for all body parts, safe if licked/swallowed, antiseptic, protecting, soothing. Safe for people and pets. My younger son swears by it for chapped lips.
[notify]
Sonja

Loyalty,- Prudence,- Clarity

Barked: Tue Jun 22, '10 9:30pm PST 
Paws are supposed to be rough. They are smooth one way and rough the other.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2