GO!

Small dog with hind leg problems

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

P-nut

It is hard being- a queen

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 8:46pm PST 
Hello. P-nut is a 14 yr old mini pin and the past few days she has been having problems with her hind legs. She can just be standing and they give out. It happens when she walks also. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on???? I would love some input.
[notify]
Ashleigh

Furry Monster

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 8:53pm PST 
It sounds like it could be a slipped disc or nerve damage. You need to take your dog to the vet ASAP.
[notify]
Orlaith

Former Stray

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 9:40pm PST 
It sounds like a problem with an intervertebral disc to me. You need to take your dog to the vet.
[notify]

Darlene- (1999 - 2010)

Running with- Winged Feet

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 10:21pm PST 
It sounds like an instability of the lumbo-sacral junction. Some dogs act like they have a spinal problem but it is really CLR. I would bring up canine myotonia to the vet if he cannot find any physical problems. Because of the breed you might be looking at Legg-Perthes disease, but this usually crops up much sooner than now. It is always a good idea to get an accurate diagnosis from a veterinarian. Because of your dog's age this might be a simple case of athrtitis. I can't really think of anything else this could be other than what has been mentioned by myself and others. If I could see a video I could give you a better answer. I've heard of Azoturia causing problems like this though, but that is usually Labs.
[notify]
Colton

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 11:38pm PST 
So many things can cause weakness in the hind legs; Addison's Disease, ALS, Botulism, Cerebal Palsy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth-Disease, Diabetic Neuropathy, Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, Multiple Sclerosis, Myasthenia Gravis, Polymyositis, Sprains and Strains, and Stroke. Those are just the ones than come off the top of my head. My veterinary manual also states that weakness in the hind legs can be caused by Congenital myopathies, Dermatomyositis, Electrolyte imbalances, Malignant tumors, Malnutrition, Medications, Muscular Dystrophy, Nerve imingement, Poisoning (organophosphates), Poliomyelitis, Thyrotoxicosis, and Trauma. It doesn't say what medications can cause weakness in the hind legs though.
[notify]
P-nut

It is hard being- a queen

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 4:43am PST 
I do know she also has arthritis in her back. It just started yesturday and I dont know if my son got ruff with her and I didnt know it or not. Im going to see how she is over the weekend and go from there. I strill like all the responses so everyone keep it coming. I would give her some asprin but I can not she is take piroxicam for a possible bladder tumber. 2 different vets still cant say conclusivly she has it unless they do exploritory surgery and I feel like she is too old for that right now. I believe in holistic means of health care so we are trying that first. she has always had problems with her knees in her hind legs do to the small breed and she also has what my vet calls a wart on the side that has been giving out. I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. Any thoughts????????
[notify]
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 11:01pm PST 
By 'giving out' are you meaning she falls over, or that you can see the leg 'bow' out kind of at the knees? I am assuming that she has bad patellas (knees) from what you are describing, those can get worse with age, and/or can be aggravated by arthritis. I know mine act worse when it is cold out. Some tumors can put pressure on the spine which can cause the legs to give out.
[notify]
Eva

Affentastic!

Barked: Sun Jun 20, '10 12:00am PST 
It sounds like DM (Degenerative Myelopathy) to me. Hindquarter weakness is a symptom of it. It is a debilitating illness. It use to be one of those rule everything out before disease. Now a physical and neurological exam is done by a veterinarian. An Electromyogram should also be done. Not always, but a Lumbar CSF, is recomended. I recomend spinal radiographs as well. These tests actually look for DM. A myelogram can be used to rule out other diseases. However some dogs cannot handle a myelogram.

I would also consider Cushing's disease. It is common in older dogs. It is not something found in a normal healthy dog. It is usually caused by a pituatary tumor. The tumor is so small it can only be seen by a microscope.
[notify]
Jeannette

Survivor of- Death Row

Barked: Sun Jun 20, '10 12:40am PST 
It sounds like she has some sort of disease going on to me.
[notify]
Tami

Too Many Boars,- Not Enough Time

Barked: Sun Jun 20, '10 2:00am PST 
This can be caused by hypoglycemia, heart disease, central nervous system disorders, canine distemper virus, urinary stones, hyocalcemia, among other things. Is your dog frog legged? Weakness in the hind legs is not a disease but a symptom.
[notify]