GO!

swimming with snapping turtles?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Kim

Love's Almond

Barked: Sat Jun 12, '10 1:47pm PST 
I've never seen any snapping turtles around here but we have tons and tons and tons of Paint Turtles. They are nowhere near as big as snapping turtles, from what I've seen of them online, but they are close to about 10 inches long. Kim has caught several of them and brought them to me. We have a stream not too far away from our home and on anyday you go down there you can see at least 20 of them sitting above the water. I agree that turtles are taking over! laugh out loud However at the time I'm more concerned with the rattlesnake which are everywhere right now. I think it has to do with global warming. Reptiles are invading almost everywhere! We also have very deadly little newts around. They look harmless but california newts have one of the deadliest toxins in the world on their skin! eek
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sat Jun 12, '10 2:19pm PST 
My instant reaction is no.

Even though people do and usually come out fine, there are some situations where snapping turtle gets aggressive. I, personally, would be afraid to take the risk. I've heard of them snapping the limbs off humans. I'm sure they could take off a paw. shock

ETA: About them only being aggressive when cornered, what if they felt cornered? I don't know, I wouldn't want to risk it. Then again, I'm a worry wort. laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Jun 12, '10 2:24pm PST

[notify]
Ashlynn

Fluffy Radiance

Barked: Sat Jun 12, '10 2:32pm PST 
We have tons of those little buggers around here. None of those snappers will hurt ya. An ace response and description of them from Isiaih! My buddies and I will go drinking that amber fluid down by the lake and swim afterwards with dogs and we have no trouble with the snappers. If they were alligator snappers you might end up in the ambo! laugh out loud I have no problem even letting my little ankle biters swim in the lake. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Apples, she'll be. The animals are most active during dusk so if you go down swimming in the arvo you should be fine. You might be giving the old aussie salute then but you'll avoid the turtles. I've seen some big buggers at the lake here and every weekend we take the dogs, the ankle biters, my wife and I, and some of our buddies out to drink the ol' amber fluid and swim. We always bring a big basket of avos and some big ol' bones for the dogs.
[notify]

Drover- Deputy Of- Security

Mr. Pudge

Barked: Sat Jun 12, '10 2:56pm PST 
oh, yes, my uncle is a big fan of going down to the lake, swimming, fishing and drinking some of that good ol' amber fluid!laugh out loudlaugh out loud
anyway, yeah, I have heard of those alligator snappers before, they sound pretty scary,
shock. But luckily there is none of those monsters up here!big grin
[notify]
Ashlynn

Fluffy Radiance

Barked: Sat Jun 12, '10 3:04pm PST 
Party time! party

laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

Never seen an alligator snapper in person but I've been told those buggers can reach upwards of 300 lbs! Those guys are back of bourke so you don't have to much worry about 'em. With a snapper you don't wanna bail 'em up. In the water they will bail out but not on land. We've put a few of those monsters on the barbie before and they tasted great! way to go I barrack their reproduction; they some good eatin'! laugh out loud But I love those little buggers as much as I love cows....for food! snoopy They never bother the bathers.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 9:23am PST 
i swim with turtles all the time. the just run away just dont step on them. your dog wont kick it because if it sees it the turtle will run. they are often in shallow waters in the mud waiting for fish to swim by. you should be safe. wishes blue dog
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:49am PST 
I know this is an old thread, but I had to add my two cents in case others find it and read it (like I did).

Common snapping turtles can and will attack people. I know because I was attacked by one when I was 13. Of course, from the turtles perspective it might have been in self-defense, but seeing how most of us can't see clearly below the surface, anyone could have "provoked" the turtle unintentionally. It's just a matter of stepping or swimming in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When I was attacked, I was swimming with my little brother in the small river that winds around my fathers front yard. I didn't know it at the time, but it was a perfect place for snapping turtles - muddy banks, relatively shallow water, lots of vegetation, tonnes of trout. Since the water wasn't deep, it wasn't possible to just jump in and go for a swim. Instead, me and my brother would walk up the river, get in, and let the current carry us back down to my fathers house. I was floating down the river at a pretty fast speed when I was suddenly yanked to a stop. I was wearing a lose t-shirt, and I assumed it had got caught on something. As I stood up (which wasn't easy to do) I could hear the back of my shirt ripping. I turned around to see what I had caught myself on to see an enormous turtle staring up at me. I will not forget that big ugly face. I immediately started screaming to my little brother to get out of the river, and ran out myself. I hate to think of what would have happened if I was wearing my bathing suit instead of a baggy t-shirt. I'm now 26 and spend a lot of time hiking, and I am still very uncomfortable wading into a river.

So yes, they do happen. I agree that they are rare, and that snapping turtles (like almost any wild animal) will avoid humans if possible, but they will attack if "provoked". The problem is that you will likely have no idea that you (or your dog) are provoking them.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3