GO!

Rabies tag question

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lilly

pet me

Barked: Fri May 28, '10 12:34pm PST 
I read somewhere (maybe on here, I don't remember) that when a dog gets a Rabies shot, the vet gives a colored tag if it was a 3-yr shot and a plan silver tag if it was a 1-yr. Is this true and where can I find this info. Mississippi law states that 3-yr Rabies shots are to be given, but my vet says he only gives the 1-yr (which I know are the same exact shot, just depends on labeling/law). I do remember that the tags he gave used to be silver, but for the past 2 yrs or so they have been colored. So, now I'm worried that he is giving my dogs a "3-yr shot" every yr!
[notify]
Radar

Dont'- Shop..- Adopt!

Barked: Fri May 28, '10 1:26pm PST 
We live in Wisconsin, but Radar got his 1 Year vaccine and his tag is orange.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri May 28, '10 1:29pm PST 
If your vet will not do a 3-year vaccine even after you requested, I would suggest finding another vet. He is just in the business for your money. Nearly all, if not all major veterinarian organizations in America recommend the 3-year shot over the 1-year.

Edited by author Fri May 28, '10 1:30pm PST

[notify]

Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 4:01am PST 
Tag color is whatever the vet orders... has nothing to do with the vaccine duration. Silver ones are cheaper.
[notify]
Khaled

Animal Dealers:- Licensed to Kill

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 4:12am PST 
In New York state law: After issuing the certificate of rabies vaccination, the veterinarian shall deliver to the owner a rabies vaccination tag of durable material bearing the same serial number as the certificate, the year the vaccination was given and the name, address and telephone number of the veterinarian.

I have no idea about other states or the colors. You should also get a certificate from the vet and not just a tag. This certificate should identify the animal as in breed, color, weight, etc., and indicate the name of the licensed rabies vaccine used (trade name), including serial number and duration of validity (up to three years).
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 8:33am PST 
My vet doesn't do that (I live in NJ). Kit's first rabies shot was a one year and then this year I was able to get him the 3 year one - both times his tags where the same color, gold.

You should get a certificate from your vet that states how long the vaccination is good for. I have Kit's stating that now he's good for 3 years. The certificate is what I take to town hall when I get him his license each year.
[notify]
Lilly

pet me

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 5:38am PST 
Thanks! I really wish I could switch vets! We only have one in our town and the next closest is 30 minutes away and much more expensive. My dh works while I stay home and he said as long as he's paying for the vet, I have to do whatever the vet says. I either do what the vet says or I have to get rid of my dogs. Dh says the vet is the one who went to vet school, not me, so he knows better than I do. BUT if I go to vet school (which I plan to some day) and I'm taught the new protocols, THEN we will change. He also says that I need to stop believing what I read on the Internet.
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 6:00am PST 
You shouldn't believe everything you read from us.....but if the info comes from a source like the American Animal Hospital Association, then it's "from the horses mouth"

Link to AAHA site on Vaccine protocols.
http://secure.aahanet.org/eweb/dynamicpage.aspx?site=res ources&webcode=CanineVaccineGuidelines

(click on PDF file in first paragraph or this one...)
http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/VaccineGuidelines06R evised.pdf

I personally do major vaccines (Distemper, Parvo, Adenovirus, Parainfluenza) on the same 3 yr schedule as Rabies. I do go in twice in the spring for Lyme & Kennel Cough, and then Leptospirosis, separately.

There is no reason for the Vet to refuse to give 3 year rabies vaccine and certificate. Insist he follow Proper Veteranary protocol in the nicest way you can.

Sorry I don't agree with your husband. You must always question Doctors, they don't know everything even if they went to school. You can tell him that comes straight from MY HUSBAND - THE DOCTOR.

And financially - if you pay $30 every year for the rabies shot at the local Vet - how much more does the other Vet charge for the shot every 3 years? - $90? NOT! So your cheap Vet is costing MORE - not less.

BTW, my hubbie has learned in 16 years of marriage, that Mom trumps the Doctor - I'm always right. If I say the kids need the Dr., they do, if I say not - they don't!
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 6:36am PST 
Sending you some ammunition...
Info from the Mississippi State Dept of Health. State requirements for Veternary prevention of Rabies...It requires a 3 year vaccine.

http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite/_static/resources/9 17.pdf

READ this one! It REQUIRES that the 3 year rabies vaccine be used - not the one year. If your Vet is not doing the three year shot he is in violation of the law!
http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite/_static/resources/398.pdf
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Mon Jun 7, '10 6:44am PST 
Don't know if you are in or just close to Yazoo City, there are 2 Vets listed...only a mile apart.
Varner on Majestic Oaks Ave and Yazoo Animal medical clinic on East Broadway.
If you are using one of these, the other one is close by. Don't know if they are both small animal practices.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3