GO!

dry eye....has to use Optimmune/cyclopsporine ointment

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 7:19am PST 
Well, I finally took Brodie to the vet. His eye that he had cherry eye surgery one has been bothering him. It did this last yr and we bought an eye lubricant at walmart that my vet told me about and it got all better...but this spring it got worse.

She tested him for dry eye and he's barely producing any tears in that eye. That on top of his seasonal allergies isn't good.

She put him on Optimmune 2% cyclosporine eye ointment. It was 36.00. She told me to use it once a day and then use my other lubricant several times a day as well...to save on the Optimmune.

Does anyone order the generic or know how I can save money? I found some generic online for 20.00 or so but most has 9.95 shipping. I think he will need this med forever...

Edited by author Sat May 22, '10 7:20am PST

[notify]
Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 8:11am PST 
Aww, Brodie, you can't catch a break, can you buddy? I'm not sure of any generics available - don't we have any pharmacist Dogsters around? hug
[notify]
Pirate

Pirate-dog...gim- me all your- cookies!

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 9:33am PST 
Dr's Foster and Smith's pet pharmacy has free shipping.
[notify]

Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 3:01pm PST 
Phoebe...I called a local pharmacy that carries some canine products. I spoke with a pharmacist there and they do not carrythe Optimmune but I did find out some interesting info. The active ingredient is cyclosporine which I remembered was the active ingredient in Atopica that mom's dog spooky took in pill form for his allergies..and skin issues. The pharmacist said the Optimmune isn't FDA approved for humans and it's more of an immune type medicine. He said that we will probably have good results just buying an over the counter thick eye drop or ointment that is a good lubricant.
We have some eye drops that are a lubricant that we used last spring and they seemed to help a lot.

So, after this is one I will try just applying something like that a few times a day again...and go from there.

Other than this, Brodie is doing great!
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 3:40pm PST 
http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogdryeye.html

I found this site and it explains why some dogs may need the cyclosprorine if the dry eye is caused by immune mediated issue.
Maybe if his is caused from the cherry eye removal then hopefully this med will help in a couple of months and we can just use an eye lubricant after than. Fingers crossed.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 3:59pm PST 
ugh...anyone that has a dog with this problem...tell me where u get their meds!!!
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 7:14pm PST 
thinkingthinkingthinking I know that when dogs (and humans) go to sleep and they can't tape their eyes shut, they put a lubricating ointment on the eyes to keep them moist.....maybe try to find out what that is. I also know that Princess had to use a lubricating ointment when she had her cataract removed in her eye before she lost it....I'll try to find the name in her papers for you.....BRB
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 7:18pm PST 
OK, I checked her papers and it was only listed as TEAR GEL 10g. Don't have the actual package because it was 4 years ago. Sorry I can't help more BUT I do know I was able to buy it at the human drugstore for a fraction of the vet cost.

ETA....hahaha just googled it and THAT is the brand name....go figure!laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat May 22, '10 7:20pm PST

[notify]
George

Mommy's Little- Velcro Dog

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 10:00pm PST 
We have a client who has an am. staff with this problem, she uses I-Drops lubricating drops twice a day (she went to the doggie opthamologist), and so far it is working great for her. The 'basic' otc tears didn't really work for her.
Cal Vet Supply I-Drops

Depending on the severity, we make up a solution for dogs that seems to work well in 'minor' cases. Severin’s Solution is a mixture of Mucomyst, pilocarpine, artificial tears, and antibiotic which can be made up and prescribed. Severin's Solution was what was used before the Optimmune was available. There is a place that 'compounds' this in a 'ready' solution, but I believe the vet would have to order for you. They also have cyclosporin drops which may be cheaper than the ointment.

Sicca Drops - Acetylcystine 5%, Gentamicin Sulfate 0.3%, & Pilocarpine 0.25% in Artificial Tears SVP Meds Sicca Drops

If you want I can get you the amounts of the ingredients in the Sicca Drops.
[notify]
Toby

Barked: Sun May 23, '10 6:41pm PST 
Toby had a cherry eye that appeared a few weeks after I adopted him. Was very scary for me. He has allergies so it kind of comes and goes when his allergies get very bad. The vet that I took him to suggested Genteal Mild to Moderate drops. I googled recently because I had been giving him puralube on really bad dry eye days and seems like many dog owners have given their dogs Genteal. I bought the Genteal gel for severe eye tonight actually because Toby behaves much better when I put a gel in his eye vs. drops. He doesn't like water or liquid dropping into his eye. Good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2