GO!

Ate some peach pits

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bingley

Did I blink? I- think I blinked.

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 8:11pm PST 
When I returned home from work, I discovered that Bingley ate two peaches that I forgot to throw out from the night before. frown Now luckily these peaches were small ones (about 2.5 inches in diameter) so the pits were quite small as well (diameter of a quarter). But I've read that peach pits were poisonous to dogs.

How toxic is this? He's behaving very normal. Do I have to call poison control or is this something that will pass? Please advise!
[notify]
Dante

I know, I'm- handsome

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 8:20pm PST 
Hmm. I don't know - does he tend to chew things or swallow them whole? Coda got a hold of a peach pit and swallowed it whole before I could get it out of her mouth. I called the E-Vet and they said if she swallowed it whole, then she'd be fine (aside from a possible obstruction) but if she had chewed it up, she needed to come in ASAP.

I'd call your E-vet and see what they think. Depending on how long it's been and how he's acting, they might decide he'll be okay - or they might want to see him.
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 8:24pm PST 
I'm not sure. They were small pits so he might have just gulped them. It was two pits wrapped in a napkin (not the entire peach). If he did chew them would he be acting any different right now? He's still acting normally.
[notify]

Dante

I know, I'm- handsome

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 8:54pm PST 
He'd likely show some signs of poisoning - but I'm not entirely sure how long it takes with pits and seeds to kick in - watch him closely tonight at the vet least - watch for drooling, vomiting or lethargy, if he shows any signs of those, you'll need to get him in.
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 9:10pm PST 
Thank you. Bingley is about 40 Ibs. So I'm not tooo worried about obstruction since the pits were pretty small, I am very concerned about the fact that they contain cyanide though!! So as long as they show up in his poop the next few days I should be fine right?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 3:56am PST 
As long as he didn't chew the pits up, he should be fine. They will probably just pass right on through.
hug

If yo are really worried, call your vet and see if they will talk to you on the phone.
[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 9:49am PST 
Thank you Fritz and Dante for the advice. I just called the hospital and receptionist asked the Doctor who said that as long as they pass through him he should be fine. The main concern would be an obstruction as the pits break up into shards. So I guess I just need to moniter his poop to see if they come out. confused
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 10:53am PST 
The danger in peach pits is the inner part. It looks like an almond. The "skin" to that is arsenic.
Praying you are gonna be fine.cloud 9hug
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 11:47am PST 
The danger is cyanide in the seed itself. I don't know how many is a toxic amount. This page has some ideas which make it sound like it would be hard to poison yourself with the things. I have had lots of ripe peach pits split on me so it is possible even a whole pit could come apart in the gut but if so the seed still wouldn't be broken up by anything a dog's gut could do to it and a whole seed shouldn't be very dangerous.
http://www.ordinarynothing.org/blog/2006/07/how-poisonou s-are-peach-seeds/
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Thu May 20, '10 12:02pm PST 
Oh, phooey! You're right! I knew it was a bad one. Oops!red facered facered face