GO!

Yellow Mucus in Stool

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Wed May 5, '10 4:35am PST 
I took a fecal and urine sample to the vet yesterday, and a tech went over it, and then the vet called me with the results. Today, the vet is going to look at it herself and call me back. Yesterday they did not find anything unusual.

When I took Max out for his poop this morning, he went once, and then a second time, and at the end of the second poop was about a tablespoon of yellow mucus with small lumps in it. It's wasn't really thick, and it wasn't coating the poop, but rather, came at the end of the poop. I saved it and will tell the vet/bring it in if she wants to see it. He was being treated for coccidia, but his perscription is finished now.

I read that he could have a foreign object in his intestines, or that it could be an infection of some kind. H has been peeing a lot more in the house than he did last week. Does anyone know what this is? Should I wait for the vet's call at noon or call as soon as they open?
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed May 5, '10 9:35am PST 
Charlie had a two week bout of mucus-y stool, it was gross! I had him checked for parasites and the test was negative. I eventually put him on doggy probiotics and it cleared up very quickly. He still gets a dosage whenever I see loose stool, and it's never failed me yet.

The brand I bought it called "Pet dophilus".
[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Thu May 6, '10 5:35am PST 
So the vet called me back and she says there is nothing wrong with him. He still has some coccidia in his poop, she said, but since his perscription just finished, she wants to see if his immune system will take over. She said to call back if his poop got loose or anything changed.

Well, last night, for he had a loose--but not too loose--poop, so I told my hubby if his morning poop was similar or worse, I was taking in another sample. This morning he pooped and it was firm, and then we played and walked around for about 20 minutes, and then he started wiping his butt on a neighbour's lawn (they have a dog who he loves) and then he pooped again, but this time is was looser, and ended off with a lot of the yellow mucus again. Then, he dragged his but some more, and let out a litle more poop with was even looser, but still not liquid.

My hubby says not to worry, because the dog is probably fine, especially since the vet said so. I don't want to keep annoying the vet, but I don't feel this pooping is normal. The only thing I can think of to be causing this is either the coccidia (but when he was on the perscription, his poop was nice and firm) or from switching foods. I have been doing 1/2 cup of the old food to 1 teaspoon of the new, so I didn't think that would be enough to upset his belly.
[notify]

quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Thu May 6, '10 11:26am PST 
I see Max is very young, so It could just be excitement that is causing him to poop like this coupled with the finishing a course of treatment for the coccidia. Give him a week to see if he settles then try your vet again if his digestive issues are not resolved. Good luck , hes a good looking puppy.dog
[notify]
Rocket

Miss Boss

Barked: Thu May 6, '10 12:09pm PST 
Keep in mind that just because a fecal test is negative it doesn't mean that your dog doesn't have something. When they do a fecal they only test a small sample of the stool and it's quite possible that the sample doesn't contain any eggs (which is what they look for) but it's present in other parts of the stool. So if you suspect that something is wrong it would be a good idea to do another fecal, or two.
Has he been dewormed? Worms can cause dogs to scoot around on their butts. Not all worms show up on fecals, especially tapeworm. If your dog has ever had fleas it would be a good idea to treat him for tapeworm with either Droncit or Drontal.

However, there are a number of things that can cause diarrhea except for parasites and in that case a fecal doesn't help you diagnose it. He could very well just have an upset stomach from the coccidia, medication and new food. I would highly recommend putting him on probiotics to see if that makes a difference. Many times it does and even if it doesn't there is no harm in giving it. I always give probiotics to my dogs and cats when they are on medication, especially antibiotics.
Well stocked pet stores should have probiotics for dogs but if there is none near you you can use Activia yogurt or people probiatics. If you're okay with waiting a few days you can get it online. I like a brand called Forti Flora which is a powder that you mix with his food. Here is a link to a good site that sells it and delivers in a couple of days http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/6133-FortiFlora.aspx . Some vets sell it too but they raise the price drastically.

Good luck. I hope your pup will be well soon.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Thu May 6, '10 12:17pm PST 
How much do you feed? When I over feed Chloe she can not digest it fast enough and her stool is large and sometimes has mucous on it.

Another thing is is there something that could irritate the intestines, Maybe the poop is to hard or soft making the intestines irritable.

ETA: If you decided to get a probiotic, I wouldn't get Forti Flora, It's made by purina, and it's over priced for what you get. It also has animal digest in it which who know where that came from.

Edited by author Thu May 6, '10 12:28pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Thu May 6, '10 3:37pm PST 
@ Chloe, I feed 1/2 cup a day, split into two servings. He usually finishes almost all of it. He doesn't eat too fast, and he'll walk away, have a drink, and walk back.

@ Rocket, he was dewormed two weeks ago, and the vet gave me a pill to give him tomorrow and then another one in a few weeks, so I don't think it is worms.

Edited by author Thu May 6, '10 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Thu May 6, '10 10:06pm PST 
Max has been starting to go to the door when he has to pee or poop so I found it odd when just now, he did not indicate, but simply walked into the kitchen and pooped. Then he walked under the kitchen table and pooped. Then in the living room, and again, pooped. And finally into his room, and pooped. Each stool was smaller than the last and it was all very loose, with the last poop being liquid-ey.

He just pooped like an hour and a half ago outside, and ate nothing but water and a few treats since 5:30pm. I'm freaking out! I am planning to take him to the vet tomorrow, but my husband thinks I am overreacting.
[notify]
Nikko

I am Nikko, pay- attention to- meeeeee!

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 9:24am PST 
Since he is a puppy, maybe he just ate something off the ground that is irritating his intestines and it'll eventually go away once he's pooped it out. Our puppy Nikko is known for scooping up all kinds of questionable items off the ground outside and has had bouts of loose mucousy stools afterwards. After a few days of that he eventually poops out the irritating culprit (pieces of tennis ball fabric, etc.) and then he's fine.
[notify]
Maxwell Smart

The dog park toy- thief!

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 10:57am PST 
The vet is putting him back on the coccidia medication for now. Plus, we have our next round of shots next Wednesday. Thanks everyone.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2