GO!

Vet wants to pull my dogs teeth?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Comet

You better be- taking me with- you!!!!

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 1:00pm PST 
Comet's Mom talking here: I'm so upset for my baby. He somehow got a chip on his front teeth which I noticed when I brushed them and I mentioned it to the Vet's office when I was making an appointment for his annual checkup. Their reply was that they're going to pull his teeth!! shock

There was no mention of trying to saving them, or watching to see if they cause gum problems. cry My dog's gums look normal, not puffy or bloody, and the teeth don't hurt my dog when I touch them. He is eating fine and not ever refusing food or favoring one side of his mouth over the other. They are my dogs two front teeth and nothing has changed in nine months since I noticed them. So I ask, is pulling a dog's chipped teeth normal, even if it's not causing a problem?

I and my dog appreciate any and all information/advice you can give me on this!
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 1:02pm PST 
I would not let them do this. If your dog is acting perfectly normal despite these teeth that "need" to be pulled, leave them in. If and when they do cause problems, at that point it's time to re-evaluate.
[notify]
Comet

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 1:23pm PST 
Comet's Mom: Thank you Samson for your quick reply! I agree with you that it should wait until there is an actual reason to pull them. I'm really beginning to doubt this Vet I've been going to, as they've given me some other strange advice for my dog in the past as well. Their office gives me vibes like they can't stand my dog (one receptionist plugged her ears and yelled at my dog when he was scared and yelping during his first Vet visit after the shelter). cry

I guess it's time to find another Vet?
[notify]

Kilkenny's- Saint Samson

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 2:00pm PST 
I would find a vet for a second opinion. Unless the root has been exposed (which means that the tooth is at great risk for abscessing/infection), it's unusual that a tooth that is only chipped and appears fine otherwise would need to be removed. In such cases, only anesthetizing the dog and taking dental radiographs will confirm if there is significant enough damage to the tooth that would warrant its removal. Plenty of dogs have chips out of their teeth that are not harmful or any sort of health problem to them. This vet place sounds like they're out to make the most money they can.
[notify]
Comet

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 2:55pm PST 
That's what I was thinking Killkenney (did I spell that right?)! For them to just jump to the conclusion that pulling teeth is what "must be done" (their words!), just seems wrong!

I argued against it (over the phone only) and was given the attitude that if "a dog chips a tooth, it must be pulled!". This shocked me, as I grew up with several dogs in my life and not one ever had their teeth pulled, no matter what. I haven't had a dog in a long while and it seems that lately some Vets I'm encountering are really money hungry, or is it my imagination? confused
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 4:00pm PST 
Comet's mom, at an absolute minimum get a second opinion. But it sounds like it might be time to find a new vet you're happier with, and get a second opinion from the new vet.
[notify]
Radar

Dont'- Shop..- Adopt!

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 4:13pm PST 
I would be looking for a new vet. Especially when they are acting like you're not "listening" to reason" when you argue against it.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 5:56pm PST 
I agree with the other posters. Xrays of the tooth to see if the root is affected would be my next step - if the root is affected, the tooth will have to be extracted - but otherwise there is no reason for it to be pulled.
[notify]
Comet

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 7:07pm PST 
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. as you have all made me feel so much better about being "stubborn" in not having my dog's teeth automatically pulled without cause!

I am so grateful for the education you guys have given me about requesting x-rays first to see if there is any good reason for having them pulled, as I didn't even think of asking.

I am hoping all will go well when we go for his yearly exam/shots and my baby can keep his teeth. This evening I made some calls to friends and now have a recommendation for a new Vet in my area so I will be going somewhere else instead. snoopy

You guys are the best! smile
[notify]
Kodi

Barked: Sat May 1, '10 7:39pm PST 
When Kodi was around one year old he broke one of his canines. I took him to our vet and he referred me to a dog dentist. They found(by doing xrays) he had not only chipped his one canine but 2 of his incisors. We were given the options to pull or cap the teeth. Because Kodi was so young we chose to cap them. It wasn't cheap 1600 but to me it was worth it. I should mention Kodi was having trouble eating his food that's how I noticed the chip. If he hadn't had trouble eating I might not have noticed it right away. I would get a second opinion also. Good Luck.wave

Edited by author Sat May 1, '10 7:42pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3