GO!

natural remedies for fleas and ticks

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bingley

Did I blink? I- think I blinked.

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 2:40pm PST 
Does anyone have a true effective and NATURAL remedy for fleas and ticks? I really want to get my dog off spot-on chemical flea and tick medication. I recently tried the garlic pills but Bingley HATES them, he won't go near them at all and he's a type of dog that will eat anything. Plus, my vet said that they don't really work. I just purchased a herbal spray that contains a variety of different herbal essential oils but I don't know how effective that will be. Anyone else have any other recommendations or know of anything that will work?
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 10:50pm PST 
If you don't have cats or don't have cats that will lick the dog, I've used a natural flea killer/preventative called Nature's Guardian that worked well for Peg. It didn't work too well for Daddy who has flea bite dermatitis though. I only use the chemical flea killers when we actually have fleas because most of the year it's pretty cold here and we have zero flea problems until summer hits. Garlic in high amounts can make a dog sick and I imagine it would take a good deal of them to actually start repelling fleas, and the same goes for brewer's yeast. The one time I tried to use brewer's yeast as a flea preventative and deterrent, I spent about $400 (maybe more) to fix the yeast-build up it caused on Daddy's skin even though he was getting the recommended amount.
[notify]
Crouton

Please God let- me catch a bird

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 11:55pm PST 
I heard something about raw amber necklaces that repel bugs has anyone heard anything about this and if so is it effective?
[notify]

Maggie & Porter

We are serious- trouble

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 12:20am PST 
I heard something about raw amber necklaces that repel bugs has anyone heard anything about this and if so is it effective?

I have heard they work well, but have yet to try them myself.

This year the fleas have been out in full force already, the mild winter in the PNW was obviously good for the fleas...not so good for anything else. I normally take my dogs swimming in the salt water everyday...unfortunately it is still too cold to swim daily. So I tried the spot on stuff, which I never use (both Advantage and Frontline this year), to try to get a handle on it as I was near infestation....no luck and the dogs still had fleas. So they are on garlic pills and it seems to be helping as well as daily brushings to manage.

I have also heard about using flea nematodes to battle in the yard are a good addition. They are much safer and actually seem to work (friends have had experience with them). I am trying to get my landlord to look into it to see if there is someway to get it for the yards. They are available in the garden area of stores normally or through garden supply catalogs (I have heard that http://groworganic.com/ is a great place to buy them from).
[notify]
Katie

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 12:27am PST 
I use a " flee zapper"

Its a battery powered comb that uses a low electrical current to kill eggs and fleas & ticks on contact.

I just comb Katie with it as much as I can.

Been doing it for years, and never have I used any chemicals on her. Works like a charm.
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=0030650
[notify]
Bingley

Did I blink? I- think I blinked.

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 10:10am PST 
I've read about raw amber too. I just don't know of anyone else claiming it works. But it is worth a shot as it's definately better than spraying chemicals on! Makes you wonder when the instructions of the chemical medications say to wash your hands directly after contact, yet you are leaving this stuff on your pet's skin! Does anyone know of a reputable website to purchase a raw amber collar from? Thanks everyone!
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 11:49am PST 
I think different things work for different dogs. You just gotta figure out what works best for yours.

We use Neem spray (it has a few other oils in it too) and it works great for us. We had a minor flea problem in the house and they never infested the dogs while using it.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 4:47pm PST 
Raw amber sounds like kook science to me, akin to using magnets to cure ailments.

I wouldn't touch that one if you need something that works. I'd rather be going with a proven natural remedy, or at least one that has some sort of logical basis behind it.

I use a Neem oil shampoo on Samson. He hasn't had problems yet, but he's got all summer to get fleas, too, so who knows.

Edited by author Tue Apr 27, '10 4:48pm PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 7:26pm PST 
I share your concern for chemical flea control. My dog had bad reactions to a topical flea product I bought from my veterinarian.

Hardcore obsessive flea combing works well. Daily or as much as possible while periodically dipping the comb in hot soapy water. A clean household with regularly swept or vacuumed floors and monthly pet bed washings is another good preventive measure to take. You can kill fleas and their eggs by running your pets bed though the dryer on the hot cycle for 30 minutes too.

Fleas and ticks like tall grass, so cut it. After your dog comes in from outside or after a walk, run the flea comb over him. this can find ticks too.

To kill fleas in your indoor environment put a flea collar in your vacuum's bag and vacuum your floors. This is pretty much the only use for flea collars.

As other people have pointed out neem oil is an effective and natural pesticide. Flea products made with neem oil and citronella have worked well with Milton. I have shampoo and a spray made by a company called Ark Natruals. The spray is put on weekly and the shampoo can be used whenever I see fleas or when Milton needs a bath. I spray his bed with the product too.

I bought it at petco from the clearance section! It was money well spent.
[notify]
Ace

mommy's guardian

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 10:07pm PST 
garlic capsulse, black walnut extract, apple cider vinegar in the water daily, and ginger root work very well to keep fleas, ticks and mosqitoes away. they make the blood taste bad. we use no pesticides on our dogs and these work well for us. our dogs have never had fleas/ticks and test negative for heartworm yearly
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2