GO!

Where to buy vaccines if I want to vaccinate at home

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 9:25am PST 
Hey,

I've been considering giving Kit his 1 year booster vaccinations myself instead of taking him to the vet for them. I have experience giving vaccinations so I'm not worried about that at all.

I want to give him his distemper/parvo/lepto boosters this year since he's a year old now, and then after this year will do them only every 3 years.

I only want to buy a single dose vaccine - either a combo of those three or each one separably (preferably, but I can't seem to find them all separably). It's pointless for me to buy more than a single dose since I only have one dog and wouldn't use them again for at least 3 years.

If anyone else vaccinates their pets at home, where do you buy the vaccines? I live in the city so we don't really have farm supply type stores here, which is where I use to buy vaccines for my parents dog.

Are their any reputable websites I can look at to buy them from? I tried Dr.Foster&Smith, but I can't seem to find what I want there and I don't think they sell single dose vials.

I'm trying to decide before next week if I should do them myself or just take him to the vet. But my vet is really really overpriced, and I'm sure that even if I had to have the vaccines overnighted to the house it'd still probably be cheaper than taking him to the vet for them. He's already had his yearly checkup/fecal and his rabies shot this year. And he'll be going to the vet again in the summer for his heartworm test and to get his heartworm meds. I don't want anyone to think I'm skipping out on his vet care or anything - it just seems stupid to me to have to spend so much just for one shot at my vets.

Does anyone else here give vaccines themselves?

Edited by author Fri Apr 23, '10 9:29am PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 11:15am PST 
Hi Kitsune, 1st check for a saddle shop or horse supply. My favorite tack shop used to be in the middle of Los Angeles and they often carry a few vaccines for dogs. (I guess most horse owners have dogs too)

One used to be able to buy single dose vaccines from Jeffers, Omaha Vaccine, and other catalogs. The last time I looked, many were selling only multiple doses but do a search online, you might find something. Look for the puppy shot, which is what it is usually called in catalogs. Check out any rabies clinics that are being held in your area. Our rabies clinics often offer other needed shots as well as rabies. Also call your local shelter; they may have a low cost source for basic vaccinations.

Good luck.
[notify]
Peetie CGC

Hairless and- crazy

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 12:06pm PST 
You can get single doses from Dr. Foster and Smith online.
[notify]

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 3:03pm PST 
But do Dr.Foster&Smith have just a vaccine for only distemper, parvo, and lepto? I don't really want to give him anything else other than those three. I think I found one for just parvo on that site but not distemper and lepto. Am I not looking in the right spot?

I'll look for a horse supply store in my area too! I don't know of any low cost clinics in our area, but I'll double check just in case.

Edited by author Fri Apr 23, '10 3:05pm PST

[notify]
Bruno

Brunoski

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 3:12pm PST 
I used to do this too and you do save a lot of money. But around here if you want to take your dog to just about any of our vets, they won't treat them due to NO RECORD from a vet that the dog has had any vaccines. You doing them yourself counts for nothing. So we just get them at the vet again.
[notify]
Delta Force- CGC RN NA- RL1

Raw Fed and- Happy

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 3:47pm PST 
One of our small locally owned pet shop sells them.
[notify]
In Loving- Memory of- BOOMER

The Cat Did- It...

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 4:00pm PST 
You may want to rethink the Lepto. It has been tied w/ many a vaccine reaction. I know many places that won't vaccinate dogs smaller than 40lbs unless the Owner specifically requests it. I'd ask Leah her opinion & ask your vet as well. This may just be my own experience.
[notify]
Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi,- Lily &

Be the moose

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 8:34pm PST 
I see you're in NJ.

You won't likely be able to order from Foster Smith without a prescription. Jeffers has some, but not what you're looking for.

Its harder to order single dose vaccines now than it used to be because of FDA rulings. I remember when Foster Smith had them all single dose and got vaccines from them.

I didn't realize until just now that I apparently can't order online without a script since I'm MN. So you'll want to check your state laws too.

Sometimes your vet will sell you doses, I know the last few times I did vaccines at home I got them from the clinic.
[notify]
Mystique- 'Tiki'

Wooo Awooo!

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 8:55pm PST 
Our tack store sells them here, but like someone pointed out, you won't have a "record" of it, so it won't "count" to most places or vets.
[notify]
Ozzie

Barked: Fri Apr 23, '10 9:17pm PST 
Contrary to what we are told by traditional veterinarians, our animals are being over-vaccinated. Most holistic vets indicate that one vaccine for the life of the animal is plenty, especially dogs that are well-nourished.

See the article: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/KnowledgeBase/knowledgebasedetail.aspx ?articleid=51

Do we get vaccinated every 3 years for measles, mumps, etc? No way.

You might check into homeopathic vaccines. Otherwise, you can request a titer test (see article) to prove that your animal has the antibodies necessary to prevent disease (which most do), and does not need additional vaccines.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3