GO!

Constipated after surgery

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

BAILEY

Barked: Sun Apr 4, '10 6:18am PST 
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on the forums in a while, but need some advice since my vet isn't open today.
Bailey had to have a lump removed from her side (middle of her rib cage) this past Friday. Background info is that after the small needle aspiration the test came back as mysenchamal and they couldn't classify what it was but said it was suspicious. So that being said, my poor little girl is recovering from her surgery which they ended up taking a very large margin around the growth as precaution and her incision is like 7 inches long :-(

So she normally poops twice a day and she hasn't pooped yet. Should I be worried? During the surgery they also removed a small growth on her gums so just to make sure I didn't irritate anything, I have been feeding her a mixture of boiled chicken which I have been shredding, and rice and then have been mixing a few spoonfuls of Innova Evo canned dog food. She certainly has not lost her appetite at all, but I am worried that she hasnt pooped yet.

I have a big yard so she isnt used to being on a leash when she goes out to do her business, or if she is a little shy about pooping on a leash since she hasnt done that since she was a puppy or if she truly is constipated??? I have read that canned pumpkin is a good remedy, but how much should I give her? I am planning to call my vet tomorrow if she still hasn't pooped but just thought you all might be able to give me some insight.

Thank you!!! And I really appreciate you sending positive thoughts for Bailey for a speedy recovery and that all of the lab results come back ok from the growth.

Thank you and Happy Easter!!!!
Bailey's Mom
[notify]
Dante

I know, I'm- handsome

Barked: Sun Apr 4, '10 8:59am PST 
I wouldn't be overly concerned yet - it's only been two days. If the incision is on her rib cage it's likely that it hurts to squat or strain and she's holding it. The anesthesia and pain meds can definitely bung things up, too.

After Coda had bladder surgery to remove stones I don't think she pooped for 3 or 4 days afterwards, whether it be from the pain of pushing or constipation.

Definitely call your vet tomorrow if you're concerned and she still hasn't had a bowel movement, but I think a quick google search will come up with many articles saying constipation after surgery is fairly common. In my experience is seems most dogs get bunged up or go the other way and end up with really loose stools.
[notify]
BAILEY

Barked: Sun Apr 4, '10 4:25pm PST 
Thanks Dante! I know post surgery constipation is normal. I am just a bit concerned as to where all that food is going ;-)

I am planning to call my vet tomorrow to check in and see if I should be concerned or if there is anything different I should be doing.

I think I mostly just feel so bad for what she has gone through and want to try and make her feel better as fast as possible. I am sure I am being overly sensitive, but really do appreciate your advice!
[notify]

Dante

I know, I'm- handsome

Barked: Sun Apr 4, '10 5:30pm PST 
I wouldn't worry too much - I am sure she's saving up a doozy for you when she does go!

I know how it feels to be 'overly sensitive' I probably call the vet far more often than I should over things that likely don't need to be worried about - but I can't help it, I am a worry wart and always want to make sure they're ok!
[notify]