GO!

focal seizures or throat spasms

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Marta

I must keep- everything under- control.

Barked: Thu Apr 1, '10 2:07pm PST 
There are some old posts about dogs having what seemed to be focal seizures (throat spasms) where they would start licking the carpet or trying to eat fabric or going outside and ripping out tufts of grass to eat. Marta has done this off and on since she was about 1 year old. We tried treating for acid reflux but that did not help. We are in the beginning stages of treating as seizures and treating with Phenobarbitol. The attacks always seem to start in the evening and can be 15 minutes or several hours. Just wondering if other cases of this same behaviour have been diagnosed and treated with success. There is an accentuated swallowing behavior during the attacks.

Edited by author Thu Apr 1, '10 4:23pm PST

[notify]
Shellie - *RIP*

Oooh....Shiny!

Barked: Thu Apr 1, '10 2:58pm PST 
I do this, but we pinned my down to an OCD/Anxiety type behavior, I have been on Prozac for a few months and it has drastically reduced the amount of carpet licking/grass/plant pulling I do. big grin At first we did treat me with Ritalin but it didn't seem to help all that much and you can only have one prescription of it, no refills (federal law). The prozac has really helped, and we get 3 months supply at walmart for $10.00
[notify]
Marta

I must keep- everything under- control.

Barked: Thu Apr 1, '10 3:53pm PST 
It doesn't sound like Shellie exhibited the spasm behavior and swallowing reaction?
[notify]

Cousteau

Barked: Mon Mar 28, '11 2:53pm PST 
Hi, how'd treatment go? My dog is currently having this problem...
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Mar 28, '11 3:52pm PST 
Very interesting thread that was dug up. Anyone have any more info on this? I'd be interested seeing as how Tanuk has had legitimate seizures and has this history of vomiting, though normal acid reflux treatments don't do squat.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Mar 28, '11 6:36pm PST 
Complete randomness, but there is a very similar condition in humans, except it is neurological. The brain sends the wrong signals causing parts of the throat (usually the vocal chords) to contract. They treat it with regular shots of botox smile
[notify]