GO!

Can My Dog Get Kennel Cough Even If Vaccinated?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 2:32am PST 
Tilly is vaccinated against kennel cough (bordatella), but has been coughing lately. Is it possible for her to contract kennel cough even with being vaccinated?
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 2:51am PST 
Yes, it is. Bordatella vaccine protects against the major strains, but it's not a practical possibility to make a vaccine that protects against all strains of rapidly changing bacteria. Vaccination will usually make infection with other strains less severe, though.

A friend of mine has two dogs, one a healthy 7yo Maltese, and the other a beagle who's closing in on fifteen and has had some health issues over the past year. Both are vaccinated. She took the younger dog to a nose work seminar, where he mixed with a lot of other dogs. The older dog stayed home. The younger dog came home and had a very mild cough, threw it off quickly without treatment. No one would have thought anything about it if the older dog had not gotten sick. The older dog got sick, and was sick for a couple of weeks.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 2:52am PST 
I should probably get Tilly to the vet then. She has a UTI, but started coughing yesterday and I'm worried.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 2:54am PST 
Susie has not yet been vaccinated against kennel cough. Could she catch it from Tilly?
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 2:58am PST 
Yes, she could, easily.

Kennel cough is usually mild, but can sometimes be serious, and it's quite contagious between dogs who are living in close quarters together.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 3:00am PST 
naughty

Darn...I'm going to have to take Susie and Tilly to the vet! Thanks for the information, it's really appreciated! smile
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 3:26am PST 
Should I just revaccinate all of the dogs?
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Fri Mar 19, '10 3:30am PST 
I think I will just buy the bordatella in bulk this time.
[notify]