GO!

Anti-Stress Tablets/Collar/Spray... do they work?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 9:55am PST 
I was browsing Walmart the other day, and in the pet aisle, I see several items that are used to calm down your dog if he gets stressed out. Here's a link to the tablets they had:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Pet-Anti-Stress-Calming-Tabs-S upplement-60-ct/13281261

They also had a collar and some kind of spray (all made by the same company.)

My questions are: does it work? Is it harmful?

This might be a great thing to use for Daegan when he gets stressed out in the car. I don't know what makes him so stressed when we're in the car, but he does tend to get very anxious, especially when we go to pick up my little sister from work. Then when she gets in the car, he gets even more stressed.

It's not his auntie, I know. He loves her to death, and sometimes would even rather be with her than me. She gets stressed out at work, so maybe he's sensing that? I don't know what it is. shrug But I'd love to find a way to keep him calm in the car. I'm going to be moving to a different state eventually, and I really need him to be calm on a drive that could take several hours. :/
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 9:58am PST 
I have used some of these items.

I tried PetCalm tablets. Bo is a 26 pound dog and the dose that it took to calm him slightly was for the 100 pound dog.

Rescue Remedy was recommended to me. It worked once but after that never again.

The dog pheremone plug in never did much for Bo. The collar absolutely did. We got it and I instantly could tell he was calmer. He was able to deal with things a little better and he was even able to go to the vet for a nail trim without being a basketcase. I would use it again if we needed to.
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 10:36am PST 
Bo: Do you remember exactly what kind of collar it was?
[notify]

Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 10:48am PST 
Let me think, it was called the DAP collar. Dog appeasing pheremone. I got mine on ebay for cheaper than I could find elsewhere. It looks like a black sweeper belt (if you know what I am talking about) and it lasts about a month. It didn't have any noticeable scent that I can remember and didn't bother Bo having it on.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 11:23am PST 
I know our vet oftentimes prescribes Acepromazine doses to animals who are going on a plane or a long trip where they can get stressed. The medication is actually a mild sedative, so you would have to call up your vet and talk about doses that would calm your sweetie but not knock him out. It seems to have few side-effects but should not be given to dogs with epilepsy.
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 1:31pm PST 
Thanks for the replies!

Charlie: I'd really like to find some OTC products that would help, but acepromazine would probably help when I move. Thanks for suggesting it!

I'm wondering if it's possible for a dog to be allergic to some of the OTC anti-stress products... thinking Daegan seems to get allergies fairly easily, so I'd be worried some of the herbs, extracts, etc might make him itchy. I don't know though, so someone please enlighten me? red face
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 1:44pm PST 
Daegan - I would try the OTC stuff first. Acepromazine has a very very large dosing range and some dogs are very sensitive to it. I personally don't like to use it for anxious dogs as it often makes them feel even more confused about the situation.

I have used rescue remedy with some success and have heard other people like the DAP collars.

ETA: Also some behavioral modification and training may also help to relieve some of the stress. Possibly spending time doing some clicker training and treats to reinforce calm behavior especially on trip to see sister?? You may alreadybe doing this but thought it was worth the suggestion. A trainer may be a good place to start

Edited by author Thu Mar 11, '10 1:57pm PST

[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 1:45pm PST 
Well, the DAP is pheremone that mom dogs release to their pups. I dont think it would hurt in a way that those other things would hurt a sensitive dog, but I can't guarantee it. Bo isn't sensitive that way, so I can't help you there. I would say google DAP, dog appeasing pheremone, and read up on it first.

Good luck on the move! I remember the nightmare it was when we moved 20 minutes away with 4 dogs. Not a real fun week!
[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 1:51pm PST 
HI Daegan!!!wavewave

There's also a natural product called "Bach's Rescue Remedy" that is used to calm dogs down during thunderstorms and stuff.
I have also heard of the PetCalm tabs but haven't tried them myself.
Also, that DAP collar or plug in is kinda pricey. I tried using the plug in years ago when I first got Peter and it didn't work at all. But, every dog is different so it may work for you big grin
[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 3:12pm PST 
I have had just as much success with lavender oil as I had with rescue remedy or the DAP collar. I put a few drops of the lavender oil on his collar and a few on my socks... so it will be around him as well. Definitely helped calm Beanie, is inexpensive, and it smells good, too!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3