GO!

What does an ear infection look like? Causes?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 11:36am PST 
Ugh, my poor Jas has one ear with some crusty darker yellowish in it and around the opening- is this an ear infection? The other ear looks fine. We already have a vet appointment for this afternoon.

What do you think? What causes ear infections?

Thanks
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 12:08pm PST 
often moisture that gets in the ear, but sometimes it can be other related issues. Poor health, etc.. it's hard to say.
Sounds like you deffinatly have something going on there, does it smell? are her ears clear of hair? is she shakeing her head non stop?
yellow and crusty huh? i don't know that i would say it's exactly an ear infection though.... but i guess that is what the doc appt is for right.?
Good Luck and Huggs.hug
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 12:12pm PST 
Let us know what they say. Brodie's used to get yeasty a lot.

Edited by author Tue Mar 2, '10 12:13pm PST

[notify]

Jasper

an oodle of fun!

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 12:24pm PST 
Hmm, not much of a smell- maybe a little bit. The crust is coming out of the ear canal. Never seen anything like this before shrug.

Will keep you posted.
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 3:49pm PST 
Ears will look like they are Constantly dirty with wax buildup even if you just cleaned them and they look dirty again in a couple of days. If its a Yeast infection they will usually start to smell with a Foul Odor. Most of the time water or any type of moisture is the cause.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 4:03pm PST 
Poodle ears are notorious for infections and other problems .... because we grow hair everywhere...even in the ear canal. Most vets will put you on a routine ear cleaning with a specific ear cleaner/wash.

We use "Vet Solutions" ear cleansing solution for dogs and cats. It cleans, dries, acidifies, deodorizes, and contains Aloe Vera.

Good luck buddy.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 4:23pm PST 
Just get him into the vet. It doesn't sound like a typical yeast infection, but can't tell for sure over the internet wink If that is what it turns out to be, I can tell you that when Quincy got ear infections often, Otomax worked the best. I still keep some around so I can put a squirt in if they are getting red or after a lake swim. It works like a charm. Best wishes hug
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 4:33pm PST 
Vet Solutions is a great Product. But I would still go to the vet and check them checked out.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 5:10pm PST 
way to go Yes, Otomax is a great product to keep on hand too.

Sorry I didn't specify I was speaking in regards to prevention of future ear troubles....yes, please see the vet.way to go
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 5:21pm PST 
My favorite ear cleaner is not store bought at all, rather it is made with ingredients you can get at any pharmacy. Copied and Pasted:

Blue Power Ear Treatment
Caution: please have your veterinarian evaluate your dog's ear drum prior to treating
the ear problem yourself. Be certain that the ear drum is NOT ruptured, as there could
be the risk of irreversible deafness or loss of equilibrium. Your vet can rule out the
presence of tumors or foreign bodies such as foxtails. A microscope smear would reveal
bacteria, yeast or mites and then a culture and sensitivity test can be performed.

INGREDIENTS:
16 Oz. bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (standard 70%)
4 Tablespoons of Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops of Gentian Violet Solution 1% (see end of article for more information)
Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.
A very easy method to make the formula is to poke a hole in the top of the cap of
the bottle of alcohol, add the Boric Acid, and then the drops of Gentian Violet.

You will need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder.
Purchase a flexible plastic bottle with the opening at the top so that the solution may be
gently squeezed out and dispense solution to affected ears. The ideal is a hair-dye bottle
available at a pharmacy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or a beauty supply store.

TREATMENT PROCEDURE:
1) Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore:
do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Just flush and then wait until
inflammation has subsided, which will be about two days.
2) Warm the solution (as instructed above) and shake the bottle each time before
using it for treatment,.
3) Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle).
4) Massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue.
5) On first treatment: flood the ear twice, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage.
6) The dog will shake out the excess, which can be wiped with a tissue.

Note: the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics, etc. so you may want to wear gloves.

SCHEDULE of treatment is as follows:
• Treat TWICE a day for the first week to two weeks, depending upon severity
of ears.
• After the second or third day you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton
balls (see caution below).
• Treat ONCE a day for the next 1-2 weeks.
• Treat ONCE a month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog).
Caution: When using a Q-tip, only insert it as far into the ear canal as you can
actually see. Use care to prevent the gunk from falling down into the ear canal.
Note: All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy, and some will special order items for you Remember, gentian violet will stain hair, clothing, etc

The Blue Power Ear Treatment as detailed above appears to work well on
any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. The success rate for this
treatment is said to be 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not
done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it.
According to the reports, dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been
returned to normal with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear
healthy.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2