|Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 5:21pm PST |
|My favorite ear cleaner is not store bought at all, rather it is made with ingredients you can get at any pharmacy. Copied and Pasted:
Blue Power Ear Treatment
Caution: please have your veterinarian evaluate your dog's ear drum prior to treating
the ear problem yourself. Be certain that the ear drum is NOT ruptured, as there could
be the risk of irreversible deafness or loss of equilibrium. Your vet can rule out the
presence of tumors or foreign bodies such as foxtails. A microscope smear would reveal
bacteria, yeast or mites and then a culture and sensitivity test can be performed.
16 Oz. bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (standard 70%)
4 Tablespoons of Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops of Gentian Violet Solution 1% (see end of article for more information)
Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.
A very easy method to make the formula is to poke a hole in the top of the cap of
the bottle of alcohol, add the Boric Acid, and then the drops of Gentian Violet.
You will need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder.
Purchase a flexible plastic bottle with the opening at the top so that the solution may be
gently squeezed out and dispense solution to affected ears. The ideal is a hair-dye bottle
available at a pharmacy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or a beauty supply store.
1) Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore:
do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Just flush and then wait until
inflammation has subsided, which will be about two days.
2) Warm the solution (as instructed above) and shake the bottle each time before
using it for treatment,.
3) Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle).
4) Massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue.
5) On first treatment: flood the ear twice, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage.
6) The dog will shake out the excess, which can be wiped with a tissue.
Note: the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics, etc. so you may want to wear gloves.
SCHEDULE of treatment is as follows:
• Treat TWICE a day for the first week to two weeks, depending upon severity
• After the second or third day you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton
balls (see caution below).
• Treat ONCE a day for the next 1-2 weeks.
• Treat ONCE a month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog).
Caution: When using a Q-tip, only insert it as far into the ear canal as you can
actually see. Use care to prevent the gunk from falling down into the ear canal.
Note: All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy, and some will special order items for you Remember, gentian violet will stain hair, clothing, etc
The Blue Power Ear Treatment as detailed above appears to work well on
any and all ear problems from mites to wax to canker. The success rate for this
treatment is said to be 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not
done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it.
According to the reports, dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been
returned to normal with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|