GO!

dog won't stop licking lips/air

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chloe

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 11:04am PST 
Hi,

This may be a long post as this has been occurring for 3 weeks now.

It all started 3 weeks ago today when my dog jumped into bed with me and I noticed she was smacking/licking her lips nonstop. She had never done it before, so I thought it was odd. She did this for like 30 minutes STRAIGHT! Well, that same night, we were playing w/ her and when she went to get a drink, she gagged a bit and then coughed a few times. She even spit up a little white foamy stuff (not much).

The next few days she would go in and out of "acting normal" . She wanted to play. She ate. She went to the bathroom normal (regular stools, etc.), but one thing I noticed is that she wasn't drinking much water.

Well, after a few days she started to drink water again. The next day, right after she ate food, she sat there and smacked/licked her lips AGAIN for about 20 minutes. Then, she just seemed "uncomfortable/uneasy" after eating. This went on for a few days...normal stool, normal eating habits, drinking water, but occassional gags/coughs and then the period of "lick lipping" after eating her food.

I took her to the vet w/ these symptoms about 5 days into it, and he did a "general check up". Everything seemed good. The vet seemed "stumped" and said "let's try sucurlfate" for her...if it's a scartch/irritation of her esophagus/stomach, this will coat it and it'll eventually heal on its own.

While on this, she continued to lip smack/lick, but a bit less. She continued to eat/drink normally.

About 4 days later, she was playing with us, and all of the sudden just PUKED (no retching, nothign)...it just shot out all over the bed. IT had been a good hour since she had eaten. She did that again on Sunday while playing...a little bit of throw up on her toy out of nowhere. We called the vet and brought her back in.

This was a different vet, and she decided it was time to do xrays/bloodwork. Got the xray taken...it was normal. Nothing showed up as "alarming"...perfect. Her bloodwork all came back normal as well. they even tested her for some virus (can't remember which one). One more thing they did that day was give her BARIUM as they said it'd "coat" everything in case it was an ulcer/scratch/irritation. We went home, and honestly...it got better. The lip licking/smacking stopped for a few days, and there was no throw up episode.

About 5 days of normalcy, and then she threw up a bit again. We called the vet, and she said "Well, the fact that the barium seemed to of helped tells me that it must be something to do w/ her esophagus/stomach...whether it's scratched/irritated/ulcer/etc. Because she got better with that, I recommend you start giving her Pepcid every morning".

And so we've been doing that now for 3-4 days. Well, no throw up, BUT...that darn lip smacking/licking has gotten WORSE. She now does it hours after she's eaten (before I assumed it had something to do with eating, but now...it's sporadic throughout the day). The poor girl has been licking/smacking the air/her lips all weekend long. She also just seems "uncomfortable". I can't pinpoint it, nor can I explain in words what I mean by "seeming uncomfortable", but I know my dog, and she is not herself. Again, she still wants to play, go on walks, eat treats, eat, drink, go to the bathroom, etc. It just seems like half the time she's uncomfortable/something is irritating her insides.

Ahh, so....anyone know what could be causing my dog to do this for 3 weeks now? I feel better knowing her bloodwork was normal and that nothing showed on the xray and that she ACTS normal/energetic still, but......I'm getting annoyed. I feel bad for her. Something isn't....RIGHT...that is VERY obvious to me.

What would you do at this point? I'm continuing to give her the Pepcid....even though my gut tells me it's not doing much for her, and th evet ordered I do it for 2 weeks and then stop to see what happens.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 11:57am PST 
Did the vet check her lips, teeth, and tongue? The roof of her mouth? I've seen dogs with splinters or ulcers, and bad or broken teeth exhibit those symptoms. I wish you luck - I know it's difficult to have that "feeling" that something's off, but not be able to pinpoint it. Very unsettling.
[notify]
Bella

I Love to give- kisses and- snuggle!

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 12:28pm PST 
My Lhasa did that. I had to give pepcid but also had to cook hamburger and rice for him to eat to settle his stomach. It took a couple of days but did get better. He had to stay on the hamburger and rice for a while, and gradually work off the pepcid. Hope that's the case for you. hug
[notify]

Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 12:48pm PST 
Try slippery elm to soothe her digestive tract.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Jan 24, '10 2:19pm PST 
It sounds like acide reflux for some reason. Why ??? It would be hard to know 100%. If you believe the pepcid is not helping talk to your vet about trying another antacid like omeprazole (prilosec) or Tagamet.

Do you know the difference between vomiting and regurgitation?
Vomiting is when they retch with full abdomen inclusion. Vomit can include large amount of stomach contents or liquid.
Regurgitation is almost accidental. They urp/burp and liquid will come up out of their mouth or nose. It usually is acidic stomach contents that comes up.

It may be important to differentiate between these two in your dog. Regurgitation usually is indicative of acid reflux, ulcers or acidic upset.
Vomiting is indicative of a blockage, upset stomach, food poisoning,etc

I think you said full bloodwork was performed, if not it should be. I am concerned about pancreatitis from what you posted above. Speak with your vet about performing a CPLi which is a pancreatic enzyme test.

Good Luck - I will try to come up with some other advice...
[notify]
Chloe

Barked: Mon Jan 25, '10 7:38pm PST 
Based on your description of vomiting vs. regurgitation, I would say that in the past 3 weeks, it has definitely been regurgitation.

I have seen Chloe "vomit" in the past. She makes a strange noise and moves her head...and it takes "effort" almost to get the puke out.

What has been happening these past 3 weeks is a burp, 1 cough, etc. w/ puke coming up.

Usually it appears to be a mixture of her food/some bile.

It takes her almost NO effort. It's like she's fine, then all of the sudden one swallow/burp/cough/gag and out comes "stuff".

You say this is indicator of "acid reflux". ....that may be. She just got done eating dog fod (like 10 min. ago) and right after she ate it, she did the lip licking AGAIN, along with a few "coughs (maybe gags...can't explain the sound/action)" , but nothing came up.

This morning in the car she threw up a dog treat about 3 min. after it was given to her....again, no retching at all...no effort, just whoomp, it was there on my car seat.

Hmmm, so frustrating.
[notify]
Chloe - 6/18/02 - 7/23/12

Anyone seen my- drool towel?

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 9:29pm PST 
Our Chloe "air licks" when she is nauseous. She will also sometimes lick the ground (carpet, bedspread, etc.). She doesn't always vomit. Our vet also recommended Pepcid and it did seem to help somewhat. Putting her on a bland diet of meat baby food and rice also helped. (On a side note: Wellington also "air licks" but usually when he tastes anything bad or bitter, like antibiotic pills or rubber dog toys. He starts licking and gagging even if I have touched a pill and then put my hand near his mouth.) I hope your Chloe feels better soon. Good Luck.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Tue Jan 26, '10 9:34pm PST 
What does your pup eat? Max would do this quite a bit on grain-inclusive foods, especially after we switched to Healthwise from Innova. My vet suspected he was bloating without torsion and recommended we change his diet. We did, to grain-free TOTW Pacific Stream and the problems completely went away. Just a thought, sometimes it's the simplest solution.
[notify]
tyapa

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 11:16am PST 
I know this post is from a year ago but it is addressed to Chloes owner.My dog is now doing the same thing as you wrote about .he is smacking/licking his lips all day and nigjt.vet tests all came back normal.It is very frustrating because my husband and I have been trying to find out what is goinf on for the past two months.did you ever dind out the cause for your dofplease let me know.thanks
[notify]
tyapa

Barked: Fri Feb 18, '11 11:21am PST 
I know this post is from a year ago but it is addressed to Chloes owner.My dog is now doing the same thing as you wrote about .he is smacking/licking his lips all day and nigjt.vet tests all came back normal.It is very frustrating because my husband and I have been trying to find out what is goinf on for the past two months.did you ever dind out the cause for your dofplease let me know.thanks
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3