GO!

Spider bite

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sophie Rose

Call me- Princess,- everybody does!

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 11:55am PST 
Hello,
Sophie was bit by something, I'm assuming it was a spider. She's got a big welk on her back, which I treated with peroxide. Now, her face is swelling!!!
I've given her Benadryl and called the vet (they said to continue with the Benadryl in 4 hours). I've never had a dog have a reaction like this!

Are there any other suggestions?
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 12:13pm PST 
if you look thru Barons pictures you will see one of him where his face is all swollen.... I beleive it was a spider bite.. where he got bit in end of a very snowey and cold November in North Dakota I have no clue, but I was out of town, no vet in the small town i was in. so i called the E vet back home and got help, and they told me to do exactly as you are doing... I gave bim childrens benadryl for 2 days, Hopeing we wouldn't need to drive 80 miles to a e vet.
he came out of it just fine but it was the scariest thanksgiving i had ever had, thank goodness we knew the owners of a drug store so they would open up and get us some benadryl.
Good Luck.
[notify]
Sophie Rose

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 12:47pm PST 
I'm glad he was okay!

Luckily, Sophie has a fear of riding in the car, so I have Children's Benadryl on hand at all times! She's pretty sleepy right now. It doesn't look like the swelling has gone down at all, but she seems to be breathing okay. I live an hour and a half away from my regular vet, and I would have never made it before they closed today. I'm just going to do the Benadryl thing and make sure she doesn't get worse (or we'll go to the emergency vet... I knew I should have invested in the pet insurance!).

Thanks!
[notify]

Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 12:48pm PST 
Hi Sophie Rose,
As a Vet tech I would have to not recommend using hydrogen peroxide as a treatment for an allergic reaction, peroxide will not help in that area and it does not promote new cells, oh it does a bang up job at cleaning out lacerations but at the same time it destroys new cells, we only use it at the clinic to actually clean up blood on our scrubs, never on a wound.

Giving Benadryl is good if it is an allergic reactions, usually the dose is 1mg per lb every 4-6 hours. Do you have any cortisone cream you can apply to the welt, you shouldn't need it thought as the benadryl should take care of this.

Spider bites usually cause what looks like a round bump occasionally looking like a pimple (yuk, I hate that word) sometimes if it is a nasty enough spider bite the skin will break down and cause an open wound. We have seen a few brown recluse bites that took forever to heal, the entire area necrosed.
Even to the point that we had to do skin grafts.

If your pup has not showed signs of improvement soon than you should see your vet.
Best wishes and I do hope your pup feels better soon,
Trish
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 1:03pm PST 
of course my dog had so much hair never saw the bite.. and never used peroxide... never even thought of it...
I sure hope she is ok.
[notify]
Xena

Where's my ball?

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 1:14pm PST 
Xena's been bitten a couple of times. She likes to stick her nose into every little nook and cranny outside! She also had allergic reactions to the bites. One time treating with benadryl was sufficient, the second time she wound up having to go to the vet for a steroid injection along with an antihistamine to get the swelling to go down. Just monitor closely.
[notify]
Ace

mommy's guardian

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 1:50pm PST 
I've never had any of my dogs bitten by a spider, Ace has reactions to bee stings, we use benadryl.
But last week my son got bit by a spider and had a nasty allergic reaction. Our doc put him on benadryl and cold compresses. What helped him alot was the cold compresses. Now i know its your dog and not human child...but i think a cold comress could help you out too. It really helps with the swelling. Good luck and i hope your pup is better soon!!
[notify]
Sophie Rose

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 5:51pm PST 
Should I be using regular Benadryl? I've been using Children's Benadryl, but her face is still swollen (more than before), although she is still breathing fine.
[notify]
Max

I'm Back!

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 5:52pm PST 
Children's benadryl is fine, just remember 25mg for every 25 lbs. If it gets any worse I would see a vet.
[notify]
Ch. Luke, in memory.

Luke--- the dog talking

Barked: Thu Jan 21, '10 12:22pm PST 
My Frenchie was one of the ones who had a severe breakdown of tissue from a spider bite... first came the whole body swelling... I raced to the vet (20 minutes) and as I got there she stopped breathing... they tubed her and used epinepherine IV. Finally the swelling resided, but left her with actual skin splits between all her toes. We didn't find the bite until later, it was on her back and she ultimately had to have surgery to remove the necrotic tissue. She was only 4 months old at the time so of course, I spent the next 15 years worrying about it happening again. It never did!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2