GO!

Ingrown tail

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Uno

I'm a gentleman

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 9:43am PST 
My mom hasn't been able to spend as much time on Dogster as she used to, but she knew exactly where she should turn for a bit of advice on a problem I'm having.

I have an ingrown tail, which isn't terribly uncommon among Boston Terriers. However, yesterday mom noticed that mine looks like it may be infected. I've been scratching and biting around back there, and mom started cleaning me and small clumps of hair and a bit of blood-like substance came out.

I have a vet appointment for tomorrow evening, but we're wondering if any of you have experience with something like this? We did some online research and it sounds as though my situation can be remedied by keeping the area clean and dry and with a prescribed antibiotic. Mom's really hoping that's the case!
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 5:56pm PST 
Yes I've had some dogs that had it a little. I just clean under the tail and apply some antibiotic ointment- just no name triple antibiotic ointment is fine.

There can be a problem if it's not kept clean and gets infected. Poor Sassy had this problem(she was always out with daddy and didn't get the same care I gave the other dogs). The skin got so swollen that it broke through the skin. In order for it to heal, the tail had to be removed.
[notify]
Uno

I'm a gentleman

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 6:32pm PST 
Thanks so much for your response. I took Uno to the vet earlier and she gave me an antibiotic, cleaning pads, and a salve to put on the area. She advised that if it becomes a recurring problem we'll have to talk about surgically removing the tail. I tried to clean it a few minutes ago but he screamed and yelped so loudly that I stopped. I know they cleaned it at the vet so I think I'm ok for today, but I am not looking forward to the morning when I have to give it another go. He did let me put the salve on it though.

They shaved the area around his tail and I have to say, it looks very bad. I am praying that he will not have to have the surgery. Did Sassy have a long recovery period?
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 7:06pm PST 
A bulldog at our vet had this problem, and his was honestly horrible. The owner would bring him in every week to have it cleaned and he honestly was the nastiest smelling bulldog I've ever seen.

If this is the first time Uno's had this, paws crossed it will not be a recurring problem.
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 8:51pm PST 
If the area hurts your dog, you can use the antibiotic ointment with the lidocaine in it.

Sassy recovered from the tail surgery just fine. The area was a bit tender and looked yucky- like any surgery site, but it didn't seem to bother Sassy as much as the infection beforehand did.

The tail healed quickly. It took a long time for her butt fur to grow back though.

Edited by author Tue Jan 19, '10 8:54pm PST

[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 9:11pm PST 
My brother's bulldog Maggie had to have her ingrown tail amputated. She was a shelter rescue, and it was in such bad shape when he got her that the vet decided it would be in her best interest to remove it. She recovered pretty quickly. They gave her pain meds for about a week, and of course, you must keep it clean.
[notify]
Max

I'm Back!

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 9:14pm PST 
I've never even heard of something like this. I'm so sorry!!! cry
[notify]
Uno

I'm a gentleman

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 12:28pm PST 
Wow, thanks everyone. So far the infection seems to be clearing up nicely. I'll monitor it closely from now on. Hopefully it won't happen again and surgery won't be necessary.
[notify]
Tucker Max- Small Paws

Tucker Max- Protection- Agency-Pres.

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 12:33pm PST 
Uno, sorry to hear about your tail. We hope it feels better soon.hug
My uncle Joe just got a Boston too with a piggy tail. I hope your 'fection gets better real soon.
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Fri Jan 22, '10 8:19pm PST 
so sorryhug
[notify]