GO!

How Much Omega-3 Can You Give a Dog With Dry Skin?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Other posts by this user

Barked: Tue Dec 22, '09 8:48pm PST 
Rod has dry skin. He always gets dry skin in the winter. Most dogs I've had have had this problem. My hair gets the same way. Someone in the raw section told me to give omega 3 oils to keep their coat healthy. Are the omega pills for people safe or should I buy something just for dogs? Also, how much should I give. Rod is about 22 lbs, a Westie (chubby Westie laugh out loud). Or should I buy salmon or some sort of fish oil instead?
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Tue Dec 22, '09 9:12pm PST 
If you buy the gelcaps get the salmon oil ones. Make sure they are free of common allergens like soy and things like that. Walmart has a pretty good one. You can double up on them for awhile and then just do one a day or so.

I ordered my 3 dogs some Wild Alaskan Salmon oil from petco. It's liquid and 32oz, that sized lasts FOREVER. I had another kind that was 32 oz and it lasted 3-4 months or so.
[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Tue Dec 22, '09 9:23pm PST 
heres a few to take a look at, I use the Nupro for my cats (its also made for dogs) and the California Natural for the dogs

Nupro

California Natural Skin and Coat
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Dec 22, '09 10:48pm PST 
I give Sassy the maximum amount calculated from this page.
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#supplements
Max gets the normal amount. He doesn't have dry skin like Sassy.
They both get a human grade gel cap. Max will take it squirted in his food but I must pill Sassy these days. Caps are better than squirt bottles as the Omega 3 is very fragile outside the fish and degrades rapidly.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 11, '13 12:39pm PST 
I know this is old thread but I found my (or my dogs) salvation at Oil for dogs. The fish oil what is sold everywhere is really a bad thing! I bought krill oil and flaky skin is gone from my whippets!

Edited by author Wed Dec 11, '13 12:40pm PST

[notify]