GO!

Is it normal for my girl to have 10 pups in 1st litter, and now only having 2 in her 2nd litter?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Lucky and Daisy

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 11:01am PST 
My Golden Retriever had 10 pups the first litter, I had her X-rayed that time and they seen 8 pups and said there was a gray area where a couple of more could be and there was. Had her X-Rayed this time and said they only seen 2 pups, but there was alot of stool in her colon. She is alot bigger this time compared to last time, and yes I know she is going to show more this time. I just wanted to know if this is normal for her to only have two pups this time? Oh, and yes my Male golden, and her was together just like they was the last time. She is due on Halloween.
[notify]
Figaro SDIT

Can't read my,- can't read my- poodle face

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 11:20am PST 
Daisy is two years old and on her second litter? silenced

If you got her from a responsible breeder, they are the person you need to ask about these things, along with your vet.
[notify]
Lucky and Daisy

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 11:31am PST 
Sorry I got her year of birth wrong, she is 3 years and 4 months old.
[notify]

CH ChekrdFlags Vegas GoGo Girl

All Pyr! From- pasture to show- ring!

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 11:32am PST 
It happens...You should have an experienced & responsible breeding mentor to answer these questions for you.
Here is a site you might want to look at:
breeding responsibly
[notify]
Lucky and Daisy

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 11:58am PST 
I feel I am a responsable breeder, I used to breed poms for years, but used to small litters with them. This is my 2nd litter with my goldens, and her first was bigger than this one, and just had a questions about it. She and the father have had all of there certs. done, before she had her first litter. So I quess i can't asked a question?????????????????????????????
[notify]
Figaro SDIT

Can't read my,- can't read my- poodle face

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 12:06pm PST 
If you are a responsible breeder, you should either know the answer or have a mentor to talk to.

Asking dogster doesn't really make you look good.

What do you mean by I "had all the certs" done? A vet certificate of health does not mean a dog is a good dog to breed.
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 12:07pm PST 
people feel very strongly about breeding on this site, which you'll figure out, if you haven't already. Many of us (myself included with Sam) have dogs that came from poor breeders and have the inclusive health problems to go with it. We believe responsible breeders breed to better the breed, not for profit. I am glad you said you have done the health tests on both parents to ensure they are healthy. Depending on how close these litters are, that could be part of the problem. Most ethical breeders will only breed about every two years, at most, once a year, and that only once a female has reached her full maturity, usually after a few years of conformation or obedience trials. See what we're getting at?

If you have a good relationship with your dog's breeder, call them. Also, if you are not, then you should be selling your pups with limited registration. This will ensure that no offspring from the pups will be registerable. Also, please have a contract that requires the dogs to be returned to you if for any reason the purchaser is unable to keep the dogs. You should also be doing background checks on potential owners. You want your pups to be family dogs, not breeders.

To answer your question, it is not uncommon for the litter size to vary. Again, though, I would attribute this to the litters being too close together. It's possible that is not the case, but it's the first thing that comes to my mind. 2 pups is a very small litter for a Golden. I would expect at least 4-6 as a minimum. I know Boxers (slightly smaller) usually have between 6-8 pups, although, again there are always variations in litter size. I am not a breeder, but I have an excellent relationship with my breeder and she has agreed to be my mentor. I am not ready yet, but my show dog will come from her when I have the time to dedicate myself to that life. They deserve nothing less.

Edited by author Sat Oct 24, '09 12:08pm PST

[notify]
Cinnamon

Oh she of the- silken paw

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 12:25pm PST 
I don't breed...won't breed...I'm a rescuer. That was the appeal of Dogster for me and many others. It's a place to learn and socialize and to compare rescue notes.

I truly think this is a question you should be asking your veterinarian.

Thanks Max, for the informative post. Your post is well-written and thoughtful.
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 12:34pm PST 
It would seem to me if she is being bred too soon without a resonable break between litters she could have a small litter or even stillborn pups second time around , even after having a big litter first time around! I will not go on about breeding litters , just advise there are many dogs in shelters and many dogs that get gassed and pts year after year , day after day because there are not enough homes for them, so please think about those pups too.dog
[notify]
Lucky and Daisy

Barked: Sat Oct 24, '09 12:37pm PST 
Well my very confused VET didn't act like she knew why? All she kept saying was it wasnt a good picture at all, that there was alot of stool in her colon. Quess what, the responsable breeder that I am, I did ask. Is it normal for her to have 10 the first time, and 2 now?????
She would say, well the picture just wasn't that good. But all she seen was 2. Now I'm wondering if I should take her to a different vet to get X-Rayed again.
[notify]
(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5