GO!

fish breath?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Zackintosh- CJ

befolgen Sie und- vertrauen Sie- mit Liebe

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 6:23pm PST 
my sisters dog (border collie x rat terrier) has stinky fish breath for the first time in his life. what could cause this and why would it just start now if he's been eating fish based food for a long time now?
thanks!
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 7:34pm PST 
It could be a dental issue, as simple plaque/kibble build up on the teeth or as serious as a tumor in the mouth. Not to alarm you but in older dogs, bad breath can be linked to kidney and liver diseases as well as certain lung disease like lung cancer. I would advise your sister to take the dog to the vet and have them do an oral examination to rule out periodontitis, gingivitis, etc. If the dog is acting lethargic or depressed he should go to the vet's ASAP.

Edited by author Tue Oct 20, '09 7:34pm PST

[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 7:47pm PST 
I seem to remember someone saying this was a sign of anal glands needing expelled. I could be wrong.
[notify]

Monty RL1- AoE CGC

I think I'm a- king among dogs

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 8:17pm PST 
"I seem to remember someone saying this was a sign of anal glands needing expelled. I could be wrong."

Now THAT would be a weird connection!!

I have no idea, I would call my vet.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 8:24pm PST 
It would be, but when I once complained about Bam-Bam's breath, someone asked if he needed his glands expelled, and said if his breath was fishy, that was a sign. Turns out, all those extra jowls hold on to raw stuff which then starts to digest in them from the saliva... That makes for an icky breath too.
[notify]
Zackintosh- CJ

befolgen Sie und- vertrauen Sie- mit Liebe

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 4:21pm PST 
Thanks for the replies. My sister said they helped.
I just wanted to ask one more thing, you all said to have the dog taken to the vet, well, what about when the vet says you shouldn't be feeding anything but Purina ONE, etc etc etc....?? (*that* kind of vet... :\ )
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 4:30pm PST 
Try some acidophilus capsules for a week. That should improve his digestion.

As for the vet question, shortly after he arrived in town, I told my vet his job was to care for my dog's health and mine was to feed them to my standards. I promised him it wouldn't be less than his standards. Fast forward three years and he agreed that a raw diet is fine as long as I am careful about food handling - like I haven't been doing that for many years for humans!
[notify]
Birdy

Princess- Birdykins

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 7:54pm PST 
Uggggggg Momma works at a GOOD pet store and we get people in all the time who want Science Diet or Iams or Purina. Because their VETS told them it was great.

Makes Momma want to barf. Her store DOES sell science diet, but only because so many peopel seem to not get a clue. So Momma has started showing them the ingredients and most, not all, but most will switch to a better food.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 10:40pm PST 
The anal gland thing is a nice tip to know.
It makes sense bc Brodie has expressed his own on my couch throws before and it smells like stinky fish.
[notify]