GO!

Hard lump under spay incision, but no pain?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lila Rae

I'm pretty sure- I'm a doberman..

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 4:38pm PST 
Lila Rae has a hard bumpish area under her spay incision. It actually feels like stiches or something along those lines. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it when I touch/push it.

I called the vet last week, and they told me to call back by wed or thurs of this week if it isn't gone by then... I'm wondering if you guys ever had any experience with this?

Thanks!wave
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 7:57pm PST 
Moira had a hard lump 4 days after her spay. Oval, maybe half dollar size, under the incision. It pulled one stitch apart. I assumed it was a seroma - fluid filled whatever from being too active. I was half right. It was irritated and swollen muscles under the stitches from being too active. Moira had to go back in the collar - not because of the swelling, but to restrict her activity. The lump went away nicely. Wed - spay. Sunday - swelling. Monday - to vet. Friday - collar off. My mistake was not using the collar after her spay. She didn't bother her stitches, but because hers was so big, it did keep her quieter.

How long has it been since Lila Rae's surgery? Moira was totally good to go before her two weeks were up, but I still restricted her walks and tried to restrict her jumping. I have less control over that. For a while the area was a little ugly from the swelling and pulled stitch, but it is perfect now. She could wear a bikini if dogs did such things.
[notify]
Abby

fun fun fun

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 8:27pm PST 
Our friend adopted a puppy at the same time we adopted Abby.

That pup was spayed before traveling to Maine from the south.

Turns out that she was allergic to the internal stitches. She developed a lump at the incision site but she also became lethargic.

Hope your pupper is better soon.

-Wendy
[notify]

Lila Rae

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 4:47am PST 
Lila was spayed on sept 3rd! She isn't acting any differently. It almost feels like the end of a stitch! it's really weird. If it's still there by wed or thurs, I think I will bring her in to get her checked!

Thanks!
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 6:04am PST 
It is probably just the scaring....with time it will smooth out. Depending on how close together or far apart the stitches were placed, the "bumps" can feel big or small.....its just the gaps between stitches.
[notify]
Lucy Moo

What do you- mean, I only get- one treat!?

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 11:47am PST 
Lucy was spayed exactly at 6 months, and it took months for her incision/stiches to completely heal. The stitches dissolved, but it seemed to take forever. She was fine though, no infection.
We've had 3 females who all took their time healing from being spayed.
I wouldn't worry about it if it's not green or oozing or uncomfortable.
[notify]
Lila Rae

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 2:54pm PST 
thnks guys! Yeah, she doesn't seem to even notice it!
[notify]
Jenny, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 3:31pm PST 
Jenny was spayed a couple of months ago and she has a LARGE hard lump under the incision area. Vet said it was internal stitches and not to worry about it. It is obviously UNDER the skin, its part of the muscle area.
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 5:02pm PST 
I read your post wrong. I though Lila had a big swelling like Moira.

Moira had those little hard lumps, too. I picked a couple of parts of stitches and told her she'd never wear a bikini. Wrong. It looks very smooth now.
[notify]
Lila Rae

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 5:34pm PST 
thanks jenny!
oh that's okay moira. yeah, it's more of a bumpy thing than like a swelling issue.. it's so hard to explain! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2