GO!

Staring into Space

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sundance

Sunny Boy

Barked: Wed Sep 16, '09 8:28am PST 
Lately I have noticed a really funny, yet worrisome behavior emerge in Sundance. He seems to be staring into space. He will lick his lips, his eyelids will flutter, and he will make a chewing motion. His paws and front legs seems to twitch sometimes as well. Sundance just goes off into these "staring fits" maybe a few times a week, but it has been happening as often as once a day. I don't know why he is doing this. Otherwise, he seems perfectly normal the rest of the time.
[notify]
Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Wed Sep 16, '09 8:32am PST 
Sundance, you should see your vet for a work-up, just to be safe.

Sounds like it could either be focal seizures or hepatoencephalopathy. Maybe you should have videotape or cell phone video handy in case it happens again? That way you have video evidence when you see your vet (a lot easier than describing).
[notify]
Sundance

Sunny Boy

Barked: Wed Sep 16, '09 8:51am PST 
Seriously? Wow. I didn't know it could be so serious. That really has me worried now. I will definately take a video of it to show my vet. I thought maybe it was just some random quirk that I was overreacting too....but I guess I'm not! Thank you very much. I appreciate the advise.
[notify]

Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Wed Sep 16, '09 2:49pm PST 
I would suggest to go see a vet as well. A dog just staring into space I would chalk up as just goofy, but the fluttering eyelids/shaking paws suggests something neurological may be going on. Definitely, if you can, keep a video tape handy and try to get some footage for the vet, like the above poster said.

Edited by author Wed Sep 16, '09 2:49pm PST

[notify]