GO!

Pedialyte

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 7:50pm PST 
many sites say pedialyte or gatorade are great home remedies for dogs with upset tummies to keep them hydrated...does anyone know this first hand??? hudson was very dehydrated in june & i would like to know if this is indeed safe if ever need be for the future.
[notify]
Hudson

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 8:14pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Ferris

Butterfly Ears

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 8:26pm PST 
I think Pedialyte is in every breeder's arsenal in case a puppy isn't thriving. A vet just prescribed it for a friend of mine whose dog was dehydrated from diarrhea.
[notify]

Hudson

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 8:28pm PST 
FYI...just called one of the er vet clinics in our old area that hudson use to go to as a pup. the dr said that it is safe to give hudson unflavoured pedialyte according to what the directions are on the bottle. i checked hudson for signs of dehydration ie. colour of his gums & how fast pulled skin returns to it's spot on his head & so far he is hydrated!!!applauseapplause i'm just a little paranoid because of earlier this summer how quick he got sick & want to make sure i stay on top of his health
[notify]
Hudson

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 8:28pm PST 
thanks ferris!!hughug
[notify]
Oreo

"Like the- cookie!"

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 8:31pm PST 
My vet recommended pedialyte or gatorade for Oreo when she became dehydrated. She was not eating or drinking...later she was diagnosed with Addison's Disease but that is another story/post.

The two liquids wouldn't necessarily help if your dog has an upset stomach. If your dog becomes dehydrated from vomiting (due to an upset stomach), then it would help to give pedialyte or gatorade to help with the dehydration....it has something to do with getting the extra electrolytes back in your dog's system. I used gatorade only because it was much cheaper. The pedialyte also had stated that once opened it needed to be used up in 48 hours. I had to put the gatorade in a syringe to give it to her. Some dogs may lick it up.

I have used Pepto-Bismo for an upset stomach for Oreo. I was also told that giving olive oil would help soothe an upset stomach. Hope this helps.
[notify]
Lily- 11/17/2005 - 6/2/2014

Born to be Wild

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 8:50pm PST 
Oreo and Hudson - my mom makes a real gummy white rice (use lots of water, after the water starts boiling, put the rice in, turn the burner on low and leave it there until the water is absorbed). She then freezes tablespoon size balls of the gummy rice and when we have an upset stomach, she microwaves them to unfreeze them (don't get it hot), then gives it to us. She read somewhere that something about the carbs settles upset stomachs. She even tried some for herself when she had the flu last winter, and it worked! With me eating poisonous toads all the time, she has to keep replenishing her stash!

Lily Girl, aka Wild Thing
[notify]
Hudson

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 4:08pm PST 
thanks oreo & lilly!! well mommy got me the pedialyte & has to give it to me via a syringe or mixed w/ oj. as for the rice...hudson is allergic to rice confused so his diet currently is cottage cheese & egg whites. some of the other dogster members suggested getting him on probiotics as well so i will pick some up for him in the morning on my way home from a night shift. thanks for all your support!!hughughug
[notify]
Hudson

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 5:09pm PST 
mommy just got back from shoppers drug mart w/ a bottle of webbers natural complete probiotics. mommy picked this one because it said "complete"...hope it's a good one!! i just had my first cap w/ dinner....wish me luck!!!!cloud 9
[notify]
Lexi, RNCL,- RACL

C is for cookie,- is good enough- for me!

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 5:16pm PST 
My guys get all natural yogurt with extra probiotics in it with every dinner meal. Just a little bit, and it seems to help with their grass eating.

Also, gatorade and pedialyyte are almost the same, but gatorade is cheaper. As well, a nutritionist suggested to a coworker who is trying to get fit for a sport, to water down apple juice 1:1 and add salt. She said this was vitrually the same as pedialyte. You get the natural sugars from the juice, salt makes you retain water (electrolytes) and then the hydration from the water. A 1L box of AJ is much cheaper than gatorade and pedialyte!

I also give pepto (via serynge) to my dogs when they have an upset tummy. The difference of before and after is amazing. When it starts to work you can watch them go from laying down in a tight little ball to stretching out and laying flat! Kaopectate works well too, but you have to get that from a vet or pharmacist.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2