GO!

Infected Salivary Gland

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 6:25pm PST 
After noticing an odd spot (firm, almost white in color, and not-smooth in appearance) on Gunner's upper gum the other day, I took him to the vet to have it diagnosed. I'm a bit overly paranoid about lumps and bumps since Gunner's mast cell tumor earlier this year, and I actually noticed this spot during one of his routine checks. Once Doc looked it over, he said he's almost completely certain that it's an infected salivary gland. Gunner's on ten days worth of antibiotics (750 mg of cipro once a day) and then has to go back for a re-check to see if the issue has been resolved.

What bothers me (and I will bring up these concerns at Gunner's re-check visit) is that Gunner has almost no visible swelling and no other symptoms of a salivary gland infection, as far as I can tell. Ever since the mast cell tumor was diagnosed in March, Gunner has had a slew of health problems (urinary tract infection, intestinal upset and diarrhea, infected salivary gland, sebaceous cyst, and stronger allergies) that have me concerned about an underlying immune system issue.

Has anyone dealt with anything similar (either just a salivary gland infection, or and immuno-compressed dog)?
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 7:27pm PST 
Infected salivary glands usually present with swelling underneath the jaw area with quite a bit of mucus in the mouth. Are the antibiotics working? I hope you can find out what is going on soon.
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Fri Aug 7, '09 8:37pm PST 
Gunner had the tiniest bit of swelling, but it's below his left eye, very near to where the anomaly is located. There is no pus at all, and he hasn't been drooling more or eating less. I saw no signs of infection, either, but trust my vet, who said he was more than 90% certain about what it was. It was really a fluke that I noticed it at all because I don't normally check in his mouth. When I saw it, I thought it looked like the beginnings of a wart (it has that weird texture) or some kind of oral tumor but the vet doesn't think so yet.

Gunner just started his antibiotic today, so there isn't any change yet.
[notify]

Miles

I never cause- trouble...

Barked: Sat Aug 8, '09 12:55pm PST 
Bumping in the hope of a little more help.
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 7:56am PST 
I'm digging this up because Gunner has finished his ten day stretch of antibiotics with seemingly no change in the affected area of his gum. As of this week, I've moved back to school, but my mom tells me that she thinks it looks exactly as it did when I first found it. She's supposed to bring Gunner in for his re-check tomorrow when she goes to work, so hopefully I will have some more information soon, but I'm just wondering what others think it could be.

What scares me is that this could be the makings of an oral tumor, seeing as he's already had one mast cell tumor this year. As I mentioned before, I have a gut feeling that his immune system has been weakened after that first bout of cancer, but that was almost six months ago and he shouldn't still be having complications from that, unless he has another tumor somewhere, right?

Has anyone dealt with an oral tumor? Did it look white and have a rough surface? I guess I will find out more tomorrow, but right now that seems like a long wait.
[notify]
Tinker

Go big or go- home

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 8:29am PST 
Get well soon Gunner hughug
[notify]
Gunner

All legs and no- tail

Barked: Sat Aug 15, '09 6:41am PST 
Thank you, Tinker.
[notify]
Bailey

Poo is yummy!

Barked: Sat Aug 15, '09 7:56am PST 
Hi Gunner!wave

Bailey has a supressed immune system after her mct's were removed too. She has super strong allergies now, had a horrible UTI, developed multiple bumps that get big, ooze and then go down and become crusty, a horrible GI tract, and a small lump on her inner ear flap that sounds almost exactly what you described as Gunner's lump in his mouth. We are keeping an eye on her lump, but the vet thinks its nothing.

Just recently I have been able to start Bailey back on dog food. I was homecooking for her for the longest time, but so far so good on the kibble.

Bailey also started having seizures. The worst one was during a storm and then she had two seizure like episodes on her walk. This dog is just a mess!

I can't offer any advice, just some support and good wishes. hug
[notify]