GO!

I get into trouble a lot

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 12:20pm PST 
This was in a nother thread but I wanted to ask it again so it got answers. I'm not talking about any one here specifically anymore.

When you try to educate others (like for instance..why new puppies need to go to a vet..or anything like that, like why you need to be able to afford vet care or not get a dog, and all that stuff about taking care of a dog healthwise responsibly)

how do you do it in a way that isn't perceived as rude or insulting?

Should you even do it? I thought education was what we should do right?
[notify]
Colt

We were born- for this!

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 1:04pm PST 
Some people can't be told anything without getting offended. Try just slipping it into the conversation. "So, has she been to the vet yet?" You know what I mean. If you aren't getting anywhere, at least give them a good website, and hope they remember it.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 1:05pm PST 
... by example? You can certainly discuss what you do and why without even asking what others are doing. We all know that there are plenty of people who should not have pets. However, there is nothing you can do about that and you will only give yourself ulcers wink
[notify]

Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 1:13pm PST 
Jessica, as a pet sitter that has 3 dogs and 5 cats of her own that all eat premium brands and are cared for better than some children, I know exactly what you mean. All you can do is try nicely to educate shrug I can't tell you how many times I have to feed clients dogs or cats Beneful or Purina and I shudder, but they aren't my dogs or cats and I can only do what I can to be sure mine have good care and foods. I am asked quite a bit by new owners of pups what a good food is and I can suggest something great for them and sometimes they take my suggestions and sometimes not shrug Or I can suggest crating or something else for the pups, well I am sure you get my drift.

I do however always carry treats in my pockets and I am sure to tell the owners that the treats I give are all natural (Old Mother Hubbards, Sojos, Wellness etc) and that sometimes gets them thinking. I also give/leave a box of healthy treats to pups for birthdays, Christmas, etc and that sometimes gets the owners asking me about the great treat their dog loved! wink
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 1:21pm PST 
Dolly, that's a great idea about the gifts!

I should start doing that way to go
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 2:10pm PST 
Sometimes things just need to be said. If HQ gives me a bath, it won't be my first or probably my last. I got a bath the first day I posted anything. I still don't feel my response was wrong. So, whatever.

That being said, it is nice to try to use some manners. But how else can you answer the question, "My dog is choking. What should I do?" except to say, "Get the dog to the vet NOW! The polite part is not calling them stupid for posting instead of being on the road.

This probably doesn't belong in the health forum, but sometimes it's good for our health to vent. Happier dogmoms make for happier doggies.
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Fri Jul 31, '09 2:16pm PST 
Dolly. Just noticing about you being a dog sitter and haveing to feed peoples dogs beniful or purina.... This struck a cord with me because i noticed the dog sitte my sister uses.. feeds Beniful.. BOL how good is that..

Sorry it is off topic.
[notify]
Colt

We were born- for this!

Barked: Mon Aug 3, '09 6:18am PST 
One problem I have is that I always assume that the owner WANTS to be a bad owner. Always try to give the owner some credit. One family I know tries very hard to feed better, but they can't because they had some really bad luck in the past year or two. They are constantly kicking themselves for not putting money away. The dog is on Purina One right now. They will be switching back to Solid Gold as soon as possible.

Think about it. If someone came up to you and said you HAD to switch to a different brand of food, or you are an irresponsible pet owner, wouldn't you be a little offended?
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Aug 3, '09 7:05am PST 
thanks for the answers!! hug I feel very strong about speaking up against animal neglect and abuse. and the one thing I can do is use the internet to educate, but I know it needs to be done kindly sometimes.

Oh Colt, while I do have my strong opinions about food, but I don't really count as abusewink I mean more like owners who don't take suffering dogs to the vet.
[notify]
Duppy- Conquerer- ~*CGC*~

cesorship wont- silence my bark

Barked: Mon Aug 3, '09 9:55am PST 
"One problem I have is that I always assume that the owner WANTS to be a bad owner. Always try to give the owner some credit."

I agree with Colt. It's very easy to assume the worst, and it's hard to really know the whole picture without knowing in real life every factor involved.

I feel like this is directed at me because of the raw thread..
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2