GO!

Dewclaw Removal On Adult Dogs

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Berkley

Stinky Cheese- Man - You Can't Catch- Me!

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '09 5:09pm PST 
I have a Toy Fox Terrier who still has his dewclaws at two years. He is a very, very active dog that loves to run and play. His dewclaws get caught on things and I find that he yelps out of nowhere sometimes because they get snagged when he moves about. I am seriously considering getting his dewclaws removed so they don't get ripped off accidentally. I have heard many differing opinions and just want to know if anyone out there has had the same problem with their pooch? How does the procedure go and about how much is the cost ( I know it varies by Vet)? How is the recovery? My dog is less than ten pounds. Some info would be very much appreciated! Please and thank you!!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '09 5:29pm PST 
Berkley, while Luna, a Miniature Pinscher (also less than 10 lbs @ 7.5lbs) is very active, she's had her dews removed within days of birth.

However, I have known dogs with dews as adults, and I've personally filed/dremel'd the dews so they're uncurved and unlikely to get caught on stuff.

Are they still getting caught on stuff even if they're sanded pretty short?

If so, I'd get them removed. Although, when they get removed as adults, it seems to bother them more in terms of licking the wound and also having phantom pains (when they still lick it years after it's been gone).

Edited by author Mon Jul 27, '09 5:31pm PST

[notify]
Bingley

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '09 5:35pm PST 
Are they front or back dewclaws? Can you pinch your fingers together between the claw and leg or are the claws tightly connected to the leg? If the claw is on a back leg and very loose, it is a simple procedure, if they are tight then it is more complicated because they have to lift the claw away from the bone.
[notify]

Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '09 6:35pm PST 
Beanie had his removed as an adult. My vet was trying out laser surgery and needed a guinea pig, Beanie still had his and kept catching them so he was the GP. Truthfully, he was not in pain at all and except for a couple of stitches in each one, you could not even see the incision line. Stitches fell out in four days and he was completely healed. There is no scar and he never licked them at all. Of course, I have no idea what it would cost because his was free, but if you could, I would try to find someone who uses laser to do it!!!!!!!!!!
Some of my labs who had theirs removed as puppies(by other breeders since I do not remove them), still are left with pieces of the joint and those do rub and cause them irritation. Beanie's are clean and look like they were never there at all!
[notify]
Posh

Pup-Pup

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 6:16am PST 
I agree with Lilith, try to file those little nails down! laugh out loud Mastiffs keep their dewclaws and we have not had a problem with ours. Beaucerons too keep their dewclaws (they even have a double dewclaw on the hind legs) I guess the legend was that it helped them run across the sheep better. But if filing them down doesn't work, get them removed. way to go
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 6:46am PST 
Hmm, Tanuk's were removed by the breeder, but there are still little nubbins there. Mostly covered by fur of course.

If they are truly bothering him, I'd say remove them.
[notify]
Shadow

"Did you say- TREAT?"

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 8:28am PST 
Shadow had his removed at about a year old. They were not really bothering him, but it was always a chore trying to clip his dewclaws. It was his front paws. He had bandages on for a week. There was one stitch that the vet had to remove. This was 5 years ago and I only paid around 100 dollars. While he was under, the vet also removed 2 baby teeth that never fell out.

It sounds like your dog needs them removed. I would discuss this with your vet.
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 6:27pm PST 
Hi there, are your pups dewclaws bone attached or skin attached?? That makes a huge difference in the difficulty of surgery and cost. When the dewclaws are bone attached, the surgery is of course more difficult as you are actually doing an amputation of the digit, skin attached, you are just removing the skin and claw portion. We always recommend that the dogs have this done at 3-5 days old, we do this on most breeders pups at this time along with docking tails if appropriate for that breed.

When we remove bone attached dewclaws, the surgical area will be wrapped for quite a bit longer. Most of the time when the dewclaws are skin attached they only wear the wraps for a few days and have the sutures removed in 10-14 days. Bone attached sutures are also removed at 10-14 days.

The surgery for bone attached claws is more painful so we send pain meds home with the owner to help with the pups recovery.

Can you just keep the claws clipped and if so will that help with your pup catching them on things?

If this post sounds strange, you will have to excuse me I just had surgery yesterday and I am still pretty much brain fogged. Sorry.
laugh out loud
[notify]
Berkley

Stinky Cheese- Man - You Can't Catch- Me!

Barked: Wed Jul 29, '09 12:56pm PST 
He has front dewclaws and they feel pretty loose, I can pinch my fingers between them.
[notify]
Luna

scratch my- booty...come on- just a lil!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 29, '09 1:52pm PST 
My old roommate had her shih tzu's dew claws removed at about 9 months old at the same time she was spayed. It was TERRIBLE! Zoey could barley walk and she cried in pain for more than a week. Her dewclaws were attached to the bone and her pawrent removed them because she planned on taking her hiking and didn't want them to get caught on anything.

Since you say Berkley's dewclaws are loose they are probably attached with just skin so it wouldn't be as painful. But if you decide to have it done I would pay the extra to have it done with laser like lucky Beanster!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2