GO!

I can't tell if it's a tick or a scab

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '09 6:09pm PST 
Henry has some scabs on his underpants region. He runs off leash and that furless area gets some scrapes from time to time.

Well there are circle scabs and on one "scab" there is a black bump in the center. It doesn't move when I pick at it and it feels hard. It just looks like a really tiny tick would look like...

But what do you guys think? Should I take tweezers and pick it out anyway even if it may be a scab?
[notify]
Spuds "The- Angel Potato- Head"

Thinking of my- pal Troop!!

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '09 7:30pm PST 
shrug Spuds has a nipple that a few of us have thought was a tickred face

Check it tomorrow. If it is a tick, it would be getting bigger, or will fall off from your tick treatment.
[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 6:31am PST 
You should be able to tell if its a tick or a scab.

Ticks generally are not HARD like scabs........I would try and figure out what it is, usually if you are picking at a tick or bothering it-it will move. The worst thing that could happen is you pick a scab off and it bleeds a little. I'd be more concerned about getting it off it was a tick so you lessen your chances of any tick bourne diseases.

Darned things!! confused
[notify]

Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 12:41pm PST 
Thank you both! It turns out a scab or something. It's a black dot in the middle of a red welt looking thing. But this morning it was paler and could tell a scab, it wasn't bigger and looked healing. I worry more because I don't use conventional tick prevention. Thanks againblue dog
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 12:48pm PST 
red face I was fussing over what I thought was a tick on my dog's belly until she yelped! Apparently, nipples are not the same thing........confused
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 12:52pm PST 
Dahlia, I think you and mom deserve each other! That sounds like something I would do.smile
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 12:52pm PST 
When I wasn't sure if it was some kind of bump/tick/scab/whathaveyou or a nipple, I found that checking for a matching one on the other side helped. laugh out loud
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 3:14pm PST 
shock Wow, Sirius, you're right! She has matching sets!laugh out loudlaugh out loud

Lily, I hope you meant that in a good way!wink
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 6:37pm PST 
Dahlia, of course I did. I just think we get what we deserve. You have Dahlia and I have Moira, though she is an angel compared with my late Sasha.
[notify]