GO!

Anyone tie floppy ears back for air circulation?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kelly

I was born to- run

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 1:59pm PST 
Kelly's right ear is prone to waxy buildup and ear infections. We go to the vet to get it checked out and usually get Surolan to clear up problems. I regularly clean her ears but the problem does still crop up. Because she has floppy ears, there isn't much air circulation happening. I'm wondering if anyone has tried tieing the ears back for a few hours a day? I know prick earred dogs can get ear infections too but I'm curious to see if constant fresh air exposure for floppy earred dogs will help keep the yeast and bacteria down.
[notify]
Missy

It's my way or- the highway!

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 3:27pm PST 
Missy gets chronic ear infections because of her floppy ears so in addition to taking her to the vet I have this ear cleaner kit that keeps her ears completely DRY. She hates going through the 3 step process but it pays off.
[notify]
Hunter

Can I please- give you a hug- and a kiss?

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 3:49pm PST 
Mommy has never tied my ears back. And I have da floppiest ears around! That doesn't sound like a very safe thing to do! She just cleans them when necessary. My sisfur, Gracie used to have ear infection problems until mommy changed her diet to not include any grains (now we are raw fed) What food do you currently eat?

Edited by author Thu Jul 2, '09 4:00pm PST

[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 3:54pm PST 
Tying ears back can be very dangerous. Dogs ears have lots of blood vessels and if they are constricted the blood flow to the rest of the ear is cut off and the tissue will die. Unfortunately, this happens all too much with dogs with long ears. Even if you think you've safely tied them back the dog can dig at them and shake their head and end up with the ties constricting the blood flow. I currently have a rescue poodle with a missing ear tip because the previous owner decided to put a rubber band around the hair to keep it out of his food. Unfortunately, she also got the tip of the ear in the rubber band and the tissue died and the tip of the ear fell off. The rubber band was only on the ear for a few hours!
[notify]
Kelly

I was born to- run

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 4:25pm PST 
Not to worry guys, it's that 2" vet wrap that is tacky. All I'm doing is putting around her like a bandana and sliding the eap flap under it.

Forgot to add that Kelly is on Horizon Legacy (grain free) and raw chicken.

Edited by author Thu Jul 2, '09 4:27pm PST

[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 10:35pm PST 
I've done that with Ginger to try to get some air to her ears because it always seemed moist in there.
She used to get nearly constant ear infections when I first got her, but thankfully they all went away when I switched her to better food. Plus, my other dog Pooch used to actually lick her ears clean. laugh out loud I was a little worried if that was healthy but my vet said since she was not getting any infections or anything it was just fine. Plus it meant I did not have to clean her ears myself often because every time I checked them they were already totally clean! smile
[notify]
Miss Priss

little one

Barked: Sat Jul 4, '09 7:00am PST 
Hi - I have stand up ears but I sure do understand your problem...
Try this home-made ear cleaner - do daily and then just 1 x per week - Very safe and low cost...
See here for recipe and other help:
Ear infections / free recipe for ear cleaner...easy
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Sat Jul 4, '09 1:13pm PST 
I try keeping Bo's ears just flopped back while he is sleeping. He is TERRIBLE to try to clean his ears. I think its been months. If he ever got an ear infection I think he would need sedated to take care of it. The vet even has to save the ear exam for last during his yearly and she does it super quick. I don't know what his deal is, but its really bad. I have been lucky (knock on wood) that he hasn't had any ear issues. I avoid washing his head, when he plays in the pool I don't let him dunk his head and if he does I wipe the ears quickly.

I hate his ears.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sun Jul 5, '09 6:01am PST 
Having had more experience that I ever wanted with Golden Retriever ears and humid climates, I would suggest you look for an ear cleaner with salicylic acid in it. This promotes drying and removal of dead skin cells in a gentle manner. That's why you find it in meds for human psoriasis and dandruff.

I have also found that ear cleaners with stuff like propylene glycol stay too moist for my liking.thinking

I have been forced to use ear cleaner daily to get some problems under control. Also, be sure to use something after your doggie gets in water! (You probably know that.)

I know that tying back ears used to be done for Cockers, etc. way back, but I have not resorted to it -- and as was said by other posters, it does make me nervous.thinking

You are a lovely RED Irish Setter, by the way! big grin
[notify]
Fred

I love the sound- of my own voice

Barked: Mon Jul 6, '09 5:57am PST 
With Fred's droppy ears and having a lab as well means we clean ears every other day! Mine are on grain free food and if I dont clean out their ears every other day we will get a yeast infection.
Mine roll in the dirt and play in the pool, not to mention the humidity in texas doesnt help. I use vinegar and alcohol - simple swimmers ear solution - put some in and let them shake it out. Its easy and cheap. I would not suggest pulling the dogs ears back.
Fred has very long ears and sometimes while he is sleeping I will flop them over but if you are cleaning on a regular basis and on a good diet you shouldnt need to pull back the ears.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2