GO!

Is there anything like "salt peter"

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ted (Teddy- Barren- Dorman)

Nothing in Life- is Free

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 6:14pm PST 
Is there anything like "salt peter" that is safe to use on a male dog?
Is there anything I can use to kept a male dogs "thing" down?
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 6:39pm PST 
I'm not exactly sure what you're reffering to when you say "anything like salt and pepper". Unfortunately, there's really nothing that can be done in regards to that and male dogs, even neutered males get it; the problem is that it's not just sexual, it can be caused just by general excitement of even a slight amount. The only thing you can really do is ignore it or try to keep the dog from getting too excited about anything in any way, either that or stick with female dogs.
[notify]

Nothing in Life- is Free

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 5:14am PST 
I say Salt peTer Not salt and PePPer. I heard they use a pill called salt peTer on boys in camp.

Ted is really big and it is hard to ignore...
And He is only soon to be 10 months I can't keep him calm.

"even neutered males get it" Yep Knew that.

I even knew one of my minis (puppies) That wasn't being breed. Who was castrated tied... and before that time My first one I Learned this by was like 20 years ago and I had a lady who loved one of my boys BUT she didn't want to explain things to her girl which unfortunately I misinformed her "if she had him neutered ..."and she called to inform me it "still worked" I was quite embarrassed offered to refund EVERYTHING vet bills and all. and she only had him a short time. Of Course she refused.... still friends to this day.

"the problem is that it's not just sexual, it can be caused just by general excitement of even a slight amount." Yep I knew that.

"either that or stick with female dogs." boys are better!!!!
[notify]

Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 5:59pm PST 
Gah, sorry for misreading, I really shouldn't be answering questions when stressed and lacking sleep. Now I know what you're talking about, so far as I know and have seen there's nothing like that for dogs. One of the biggest down sides to having a large breed dog, I'm sure (I've never personally been around any giant breeds or large breeds that got visibly 'excitable', thankfully). Lavender and chamomile have calming affects on dogs, you could rub a natural lavender or chamomile essential oil around the dogs ears, neck and muzzle and/or collar for a calming effect, I don't know if it would stop it entirely but it would at least generally calm him down to some degree.
[notify]
Buddy , ^_^

dogis a- nicerpersonthan- an averageperson

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 6:54pm PST 
big laugh Salt Peter is Bat Poop!!!! big laugh Seriously!
[notify]

Nothing in Life- is Free

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 3:40pm PST 
Thanks, I'll try the Lavender then the chamomile, it that doesn't work I chasing down those bats.

I left a message at the vet office yesterday and they still didn't call me back.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 3:52pm PST 
From snopes.com:

"There's no proof that potassium nitrate (also known as saltpeter) has any effect on libido..."

And since Teddy's erections may have nothing to do with libido, why try and treat that?

another source about saltpeter and libido.
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 4:04pm PST 
shock My hubby said the give that to guys in the service not sure if it's dog appropriate. For Bo I like to make him watch baseball or the golden girls that works like a charm. way to go
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 4:16pm PST 
Tell him to think about his Grammy or take a cold shower or something. That ought to take the vim and vigor outta him.
Darby - C.G.C.

The Anti-Lassie

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '09 4:40pm PST 
Should have got a Collie. I've never seen Darb's chili pepper - not even when he's humping the kitty.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2