GO!

Rabbit Poop

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Zoey

Barked: Sun May 31, '09 11:23am PST 
Does eating rabbit poop make dogs sick? Our neighborhood is over run with rabbits and they are leaving their "remains" in our backyard. It's confusing to my dog because these droppings look like her treats. Is this harmful to her, and how do I keep her from eating them?
[notify]
The Wee- Beasties

The Wee 3 are- now the Wee 7!!!

Barked: Sun May 31, '09 12:52pm PST 
I would think any kind of poop can make them sick. Our dogs routinely get gastric infections from eating cat poop. Our neighbor lets her cats roam free and they use our yard as their litter box. Grrr. We try to keep it picked up but it never fails that we miss some here and there.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sun May 31, '09 1:22pm PST 
Yes. I don't recall what its called, but my aunts dog kept getting deathly ill. They narrowed it down to her eating rabbit poop on her morning romps, and the vet said there is something in it that is bad.
[notify]

Zoey

Barked: Sun May 31, '09 1:40pm PST 
What kind of side effects to they get? I just need to know what to look for. She is only 6 months old and 5lbs. so I get worried over every little thing. Anytime I see her picking at the grass or digging I try to deter her. I'm sure a few droppings slip by here and there.
[notify]
FIONA

Look at my- beautiful hair!

Barked: Sun May 31, '09 8:30pm PST 
I have the same problem with my little Fiona at my boyfriends house frown since Fiona is tiny I solved this problem at my house by blocking all tiny entrances into my backyard... no rabbits in and no Fiona getting out. plywood works fine and it's cheap.

also, Fiona hasn't gotten sick from eatting Rabbit poop, I guess it depends on how much they eat.

Edited by author Sun May 31, '09 8:32pm PST

[notify]
Koda

Barked: Sun May 31, '09 10:39pm PST 
My parent's house has wild rabbits all the time. Koda loves the poop. Nothing has happened to him yet. obviously i deter him whenever i see him go to it, but he seems to have survived thus far.
[notify]
Bruce

Yippie! Spring- is here :)

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 4:00pm PST 
Our vet said :
cat poop- bad
deer and bunny poop- not bad, but don't let him make a meal of it!!

Thank goodness the deer finally found a new path to the woods they like.

snoopy
[notify]
Pookie

A- Pookiechu...Cute- r than a bunny!

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 11:34pm PST 
The concern with my dogs eating bunny feces(they eat the night stools-soft dark grape like clusters) is coccidiosis which can be contracted by eating night stools about 3 days old(according the ARBA Raising Better Rabbits and Cavys book). Which is why rabbits eat directly eat them from their vent and do not ingest dropped stool. Coccidia oocysts lie dorment in the rabbit intestines until out of the body for a few days.

To the reply about the dog being sick from eating rabbit feces, it may have been coccidiosis. Our dogs will sometimes sneak and eat the stools behind our back, we have yet to have issues, but I wouldn't advise them eating it.
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 6:46am PST 
We have a bunny that lives under our deck and Princess likes to steal the odd dropping for a snacklaugh out loud She has never gotten sick from it and I asked the vet about it and she said it was ok once in a while.....as a matter of fact, her own dog enjoys the odd tidbitlaugh out loud She said the samething the other vet did....just don't make a meal out of it.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 10:44am PST 
Unfortunately, I have had my fair share of rabbit poop too. I think getting a little here and there is okay but I wouldn't eat it all the time.

Mom thinks I have gotten a little sick from eating it before too. It seems when I get whole bunch, but not when it's a little here and there.
[notify]