GO!

How long do dogs in Heat bleed?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Anita

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 5:41pm PST 
Let me start with I have NO intention of EVER breeding! I thought Anita was fixed, the vet found a spay scar, but now she is bleeding... so I guess not. I know I'm suppose to wait a month to get her spayed. I just want to know how long she is going to be bleeding? I just ran out to the store and bought dogy diapers. This is a surprise I just wasn't expecting! I guess I should be happy she didn't come preggers! eek
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 7:25pm PST 
It will last about three weeks.
When you take her outside for potty breaks, go with her so you can make sure that she stays in your fenced yard and keep an eye on her. Don't let her pee anywhere near your fence or outside of your yard. Contrary to what most say, dogs have to be close to a female or where she has peed to be able to tell that she is in heat so if you are careful, you shouldn't have any male dogs camped outside your house.

Don't take her for walks around your neighborhood or you will inform all of the intact male dogs that your female is in heat and where she lives. If you must take her for a walk, put her in your car and take her for a drive to the park.

Many a vet has mistaken a cesarean scar for a spay scar. It does happen.
[notify]
CH ChekrdFlags Vegas GoGo Girl

All Pyr! From- pasture to show- ring!

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 7:32pm PST 
She'll bleed the 1st week...heavy the 2nd week & lightly the 3rd week...You'll need to keep her away from intact male dogs all 3 weeks as some bitches will stand early & some late...Better safe than sorry!way to go
[notify]

Syddalee

Some things are- just meant to- be.

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 7:45pm PST 
Honestly I just got siddalye spay when she went into heat on Tuesday. The surgery was already schedule for Wednesday of this week. I also heard many so wait but I caught her spotting not really into flow yet and I had smooth sailing through her surgery. My vet and a couple others that I called said no problem. She came home the same day. Slept until then next afternoon and was then ready to eat and play thursday afternoon. I'm now super anixous about her open her stitches!!! She is feeling great and ready to be back to normal self. I have decided keep her on a leash in the house is my best way of controling her actions and keep her realitvely calm.
If your female is just spotting I would at least ask your vet there honest opinion. In my situation my landlord happen to stop by and saw her in a diaper and said I had 48 hours that I had to keep my surgery apppointment(get her spayed) or give her up! Obivously I was nervous but I'm glad I didn't deal with it for a month, especially June! Now if I can just keep my stitches in.

Best of Luck! And welcome to womanhood!
[notify]
Anita

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 12:25pm PST 
Unfortunately I noticed when she was really bleeding. Akitas are a very low energy breed. So she has her "place" in the hallway. She just likes to snooze there. So I guess she was bleeding there, and licking it up off herself and the floor (she just likes to lick the floor so I didn't think anything of it). I noticed a little bit of blood on the floor a couple days ago but she has scratched or chewed her self to the point of bleeding before (we are going to get her skin tested in a few months after we have paid off her ACL surgery) so I didn't think too much about that either. I think she was probably bleeding significantly but was licking it off of herself and the floor. When I looked in the crate I noticed there was large bloody splotches on the bed. I didn't notice because she is currently blowing her coat and I thought it was just large dark hair balls until I looked closer.

I dunno, maybe I'm just dense red face

Anyway, I'm going to schedule her spay with our SPCA and I'm sure they won't have an open appointment for a month anyway.

I can't believe I have to buy 3 weeks worth of dogy diapers! Poor Anita. If its not one thing, its another with her.

Thanks for the responses! I've NEVER had any animal in heat before as I always have rescues and I s/n. I feel pretty clueless about this!

Edited by author Sat May 30, '09 12:28pm PST

[notify]
Syddalee

Some things are- just meant to- be.

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 1:59pm PST 
Sounds like really you probably only have one or two weeks left then. Best of luck! Yeah when I called the SPCA in my area their first appointment was July!!
[notify]