GO!

Going into heat after spay?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dessie

Wow, that- sandwich looks- scrumptious!

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 9:29pm PST 
Dessie was spayed March 18th of this year. She was set to go into heat around this time. I noticed a few days ago that she started her "heat rituals" of pacing and crying and licking herself a lot. She used to throw up occassionally when she was in heat and she threw up last night. Is it possible to go into heat after being spayed? I realize that she cannot get pregnant but is this unheard of? I searched online and found one person that said it was possible if some tissue was left behind and I'm wondering if this is accurate or not. They said that they would not be in "heat" perse but rather exhibit the behaviors.

Just fyi we are scheduled to go to the vet later this week anyways for our biannual checkup and I will have them look her over.
[notify]
Shellie - *RIP*

Oooh....Shiny!

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 10:00pm PST 
Yes it is possible (but rare) for a dog to go into heat after spay if some of the tissue was left. We've actually treated a dog for uterine stump pyometra before (the part that was left). I would say a vet visit is in order.
[notify]
Dessie

Barked: Sun May 17, '09 10:21pm PST 
She was diagnosed with closed pyometra when they did the spay. No signs or symptoms - found out when they got in there. They treated it and we've been great until now.

I'll call the vet in the morning.
[notify]

Dessie

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 1:07pm PST 
Just an update, I called the vet this morning and we're set to go in tomorrow. While she said that it was possible for her to hormonally go into heat that she would not bleed and could not get pregnant (for obvious reasons). She also said it could be indicative of a number of problems such as UTI, bladder infection or even just allergies (and she has been itching and sneezing a bunch) so we are going in to have a bunch of tests run. I told them about my concern for stump pyometra and she agreed. She said that they would look at all possibilities.

Thanks for the help. Wish us luck! I'll let you know what turns up!
[notify]
B.J., CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 2:27pm PST 
One of my labs had a bit of ovarian tissue left behind and she definitely went into heat... no bleeding, but the boys all gathered round from all over the neighborhood.
She was finally re-spayed after that (N/C) , and all was well from then on.
So, it can happen!
[notify]
Dessie

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 3:43pm PST 
If that's the case I'm going to demand that they pay for the re-spay at our own vet. I used a spay/neuter clinic because they had such rave reviews and our vet wanted to charge $300+ for special anesthesia (its their standard policy). Plus our vet recommended we use them if we weren't going to use our vet. They should have done it right the first time and if they didn't then they should pay to have the mistake fixed.
[notify]
Dessie

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 12:56pm PST 
Just an update!

We went to the vet and she has a combination of severe allergies and vaginitis. We've got a treatment plan in place and she's doing better already!

Thanks for the support!
[notify]