GO!

baby wipes for regular ear cleaning?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Boo

Eye-Catcher

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 5:04am PST 
is it ok to use cottonelle babywipes to do regular ear cleanings? the boxers don't have any infection or sign of one and Boo HATES having his ears cleaned but doesn't mind baby wipes for some reason...

I figure if the are ok for a baby, they are ok for a dog's ear, but I wanted to make sure.

I only do it once a week or twice a week, but usually only once.
[notify]
Hannah

I am Loved

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 6:25am PST 
Mom uses Baby wipes on me too.... It seams fine... I would like to know if its okay to use too...
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 10:42am PST 
yes that's what most dog owners told me to use. my vet said to buy a solution, but i only saw solutions for ear mites at the petstore. if you want a cleaning solution, you can use diluted apple cider vinegar in the ears, swish the solution around with your fingers rubbing the outside of Boo's ears, if you wanted. if the ears seem red or sensitive, you can add aloe extract to the solution also.

Edited by author Mon Apr 20, '09 10:43am PST

[notify]

Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 12:35pm PST 
Why are you cleaning their ears if there is no infection?

Leave them alone!!!

Just like our ears there is a protective wax in their ears and by over cleaning you are removing that. Stop it!!!

Only clean the ears when your Boxers have a yeast infection or ear mites, or they are read and inflamed. Use White Vinegar and DO NOT dilute it. Do you put water in your ears? And yes, I clean my ears with vinegar too, only when required. Don't waste your money on ear cleaners they will actually make the problem worse because of the ingredients they contain.

Taser
[notify]
Pebbles - *Retired SD*

Frosty Paws?- Heck yes, I want- some!

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 12:42pm PST 
Our trainers told us to put R7 Ear Cleaner in our dogs' ears after swimming/baths to dry up the water in their ears and prevent infection. I put the cleaner in, rub her ears, and wipe her ears with a couple of makeup removal pads (cotton).
After baths/swimming is the only time I do this. Labs are prone to ear problems, so that is why we do this.
[notify]
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 1:06pm PST 
Pebbles you are correct to do this to remove the water but you do not have to go to the expense of the cleaner. You just need some thing that will dry up the water. You can use either vinegar or rubbing alchol. Something we all have in the house.

I suggest you do not use the make up pads either but paper towel depending on the quality of the make up pads. Many makeup pads will leave traces of cotton behind the same as cotton balls. This will actually allow for a breeding gound in the ear for bacteria. Paper towel leaves less fibres behind then kleenex. To test this shake a klennex under a bright light then a paper towel. See how many fibres fly out of each. To test your make up pad wet and run over ruff skin to see how manyfibres are pulled. The more fibres left behind in the ear canal gives a better breeding ground for the bacteria to grow.
[notify]
Pebbles - *Retired SD*

Frosty Paws?- Heck yes, I want- some!

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 1:17pm PST 
Thanks, Taser! I will give the paper towels a try next bath time!
[notify]
♥M ♥

Missy MooMoo

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 1:18pm PST 
Just clean the visible part only, don't go into the canal. I would hold back on frequent cleaning unless you see visible dirt as that can be an irritant and not cleaning that can lead to problems (just like overcleaning).

I heard (but haven't read anything about this or consulted with a vet) that it's better to use those Earthbath brand grooming wipes since baby wipes are ph balanced for babies not dogs; however, the earthbath wipes don't say ph balanced for dogs on the package either.
[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 2:45pm PST 
I only clean the outer part and only when the I see dark stuff.

I guess I thought I should keep them clean because our labs have such bad each infections that I wanted to prevent it.

And I clean my ears everyday and anytime they get water in them. (obsessive stuff)
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 21, '09 3:02pm PST 
we use baby wipes but only for bums after we do #2. red facered face somtimes nothing is on the wipes other times YUK!!!shockshockshockshock
my parents were advised to do this when i was a pup as i had lots of parasites when i came home. once my parents saw what comes on the wipes they continued with it. my cat sister even gets her bum done.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2