GO!

Eye Removal....

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 1:34pm PST 
My mommy is worried. She is worried sick about my up-coming eye removal and finds it hard to think about anything else. All she can ask herself is "am I doing the right thing?"

A few months ago, my retina completely detached in my left eye, leaving me totally blind in that eye. Then, the eye filled with blood and developed glaucoma. The ophthamologist recommended removal to relieve my pain. Why suffer just to retain a blind eye.

Mommy has taken a month to think about it. I have good days and bad days. On the bad days she tells herself "see, it's the right thing" and on the good days she questions her decision.

Has anyone else gone through this difficult situation? What is the recovery like after the eye is removed? Did you ever regret removing the eye?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Princess and her worry-wort Mom
[notify]
Fa la la la- Luce!

Swallowed a- Whistle

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 1:42pm PST 
I lost both of my eyes to glaucoma last year. I adjusted very easily. Most importantly I am pain free! You can read more about my experience in my Diary.
Paws crossed for you sweet Princess!
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 1:51pm PST 
sweetie, just think how good it will be to not have bad, or bad days.
[notify]

♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 1:57pm PST 
hughug Lucy, now Mommy's eyes are leaking!cry But, you are an inspiration!hughug

You are right Dylan. As Mommy types this, I'm rubbing my eye ......frown
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 2:58pm PST 
Princess,

I have no experience myself with glaucoma, but one of mom's human friends has lost the sight in one of her eyes because of it. Mom's friend sometimes suffers horrible migraines because of that eye. She thinks that if you are that miserable, you'll probably feel better without the eye. Good luck, and keep your tail wagging.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 3:02pm PST 
What's stopping you from removing the eye?

Vance had a benign tumor in the globe of his eye that pretty much destroyed it. And that's what it really came down to - Why would I want to leave a diseased eye in him? We just kinda did it and never looked back (no pun intended). About a week elapsed between tumor discovery and removal, during which I was mostly scrambling to collect money.

She already can't see and there's no chance of repairing the eye, so nothing will change for her in that regard. She is in pain, even though she may not show much of it - dogs often hide their pain. I'm guessing she's at risk for complications as well. I guarantee you she is not concerned about her physical appearance.

I did decide to put in an internal prosthetic, since many facial muscles are supported by the globe of the eye. The prosthetic simply keeps his face from looking sunken in. From a medical perspective, it's purely cosmetic. I think there is psychological value to it though. I did not want him to have to deal with disgust from humans and fear from other dogs because he didn't look right. If he had a coat that could hide his face, I may not have done it. But he's got short fur, and this turned out well. Most people don't even realize the eye is actually not there.

Yeah, surgery sucks. And it looks hideous for like three weeks while the swelling goes down, the bruising fades, and the incision heals up. Depending on when you pick her up, you may have to do cold compresses to keep swelling down. Other than that, it's just wearing an E collar until the stitches come out. It sucks, but you get past it.

And the sooner you do it, the sooner you are past it. And once you're past it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it right away.
[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 3:22pm PST 
Awe poor doggie!

I think i know where you are coming from, and if I am wrong and I sound horrible, than I apologize!

I would have a hard time because a huge part of me would want my dog to be pain free, but then that part that sees her have good days would say " but she will look gross without an eye"

I think when its your own dog, it doesn't matter what happens to them, you love them no matter they look like!

Health and happiness for the dog though is more important, I would hate my mom if she opted not to have me repaired because I might have a facial scar or something.

Thats cool about a fake eye, you could do that. Or you could let her hair grow out on that side like bangs, on halloween she could wear an eye patch like a pirate.

**19 year old girl saying these things, so maybe that is why I think of the appearance, or maybe its just human, but Layla gets a tumor taken off her chin this week, and a healthy dog with a funny lookin face is better than a sick, dead dog any day!

Get healthy doggie!!hug Good Luck!!!
[notify]
Rocky

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 4:10pm PST 
DO NOT WORRY!!!! We had my beloved Buster's eye removed just one year ago. He was suffering from secondary glaucoma resulting from pigmentary uveitis (aka smoldering uveitis aka Golden Retriever Syndrome). We had been able to keep eye pressure under control for almost a year but it was slowly creeping up in the 25-30 mmHG range. We don't know for sure but we assume he must have had a chronic bad headache. Since he was almost blind, we decided his comfort was more important than his appearance. We asked about an implant but our doc advised against it because sometimes the body rejects requiring more surgery and trauma for us. Our doc said Buster would like fine, sort of like he was winking at us. When he came out of surgery he did look bad with the bruising and shaved hair but not as bad as we thought. The funny thing was that his eyebrow movement was just the same as when his eye was there so it gave the illusion he had an eye. After just a couple days he was doing great. Actually, we think he felt better almost immediately. Buster died 5 months later from hemangiosarcoma. Those last 5 days were the worst of my life as I helplessly watched my best friend die. However, I am so glad we did the eye enucleation so he could enjoy his last months without a bad headache.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 4:53pm PST 
If a doctor is not used to doing prosthetics and doesn't feel comfortable with them, it's best not to. The doctor I took Vance to said it was a common part of the procedure, with about a 5% chance of any complication at all, serious or not-so serious. Serious side effects were less than 1%. That was absolutely my first question about them.

Talk to the doctor about it... There are a lot of variables. My doctor said the sunken effect would be especially pronounced on Vance because of how slim and finely boned he is. If he were a Pit Bull or Rottweiler, it may not have been so noticeable. With fluffy fur to cover it, it may not have made a difference anyway. Or if he mostly hung out at home, I wouldn't have cared if his face was sunken - But I work with dogs, and I've seen the difficulty dogs who look different have socializing. Ultimately, though, it depends on the dog and owner.
[notify]
Mocha Bear- (Mokie),- VGG, KPA,

CEO of Rewarding- Behaviors Dog- Training

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 6:25pm PST 
I got to hang out with Vance in Providence at ClickerExpo, and I must say that he was one of the most handsome pups at the party!

I have a three-legged cat. I could never imagine looking at him and thinking "Ew, Ahab, you look so gross!" No way. He is my beautiful kitty boy, and I think his peg leg is rather dashing.

Edited by author Mon Apr 13, '09 6:26pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2