GO!

both back legs stopped working

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Duke

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 4:19pm PST 
I have a 4 yr old Boston Terrier 2 nights ago he started to loose all use of his back legs, they went limp, we are on steroids and pain medication, but he doesn't act hurt or sick, he has regained a little muscle tension in his legs today but very little, he went to a vet ER.they looked him over ..did not do any test no xray no blood work(((no accident happen to our dog))) ..... the vet says it's neurological.....has anyone out there had this happen..........PLEASE THIS DOG HAS SAVED MY LIFE ONCE I MUST TRY EVERYTHING TO SAVE HIS............frown
[notify]
Monty RL1- AoE CGC

I think I'm a- king among dogs

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 6:17pm PST 
I'm so sorry frown I think I would get a second opinion from an other vet to start with.hug
[notify]
"Gunner" Da- Big Boy- Angel

Da Big Boy- Rules, I AM the- Big Boy!

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 6:27pm PST 
It is a bit surprising that the er vet did not take xrays just to rule out a visible back problem. Usually ruptured discs are only found with a CT but they always start with an xray first.
I would certainly see another vet for a second opinion, check for a disc problem or nerve problem, you will most likely be sent to the neuro doc, we always refer back problems out as they are very specialized. Is the steroid working????
If there is a disc problem it can most likely be taken care of with surgery, my dog, Gunner, had a laminectomy (ruptured disc repaired) and did fantastic.
Please get another opinion, get your records from the er vet and take them with you. I hope you find out what is going on, poor pup.
[notify]

bambee

Barked: Sun Mar 15, '09 10:52pm PST 
So sorry to hear that about your pet. That does sound like a neuro problem. I wonder why your vet did not do xrays/cts/mri or the likes. Getting a second opinion will be best.
[notify]
Wilson

Cheese Please!!

Barked: Mon Mar 16, '09 11:44am PST 
hugI'm so sorry Dukehug
I have neurological problems as well. My first symptom was when my legs stopped working. I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis, which is being treated with Pyridostigmine Bromide, and another neuro disease (still undiagnosed) which is being treated with Prednisone.

Definately get a second opinion. And a third, fourth, or however many are needed until someone is willing to really try to figure out what is wrong. Neurological diseases are often hard to diagnose because so many of them produce the same symptoms. My vet started with x-rays and bloodwork. When nothing showed up in either of those, they started trying different medicines until I responded to one.

My mom spent countless hours researching neurological diseases when the vets were trying to diagnose me. It's a frustrating and heartbreaking process when you don't know what's wrong with your baby. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we hope you get better soon! Pmail us any time!

hug xoxo Wilson & family
[notify]
Grady

Disc Dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Mar 16, '09 12:43pm PST 
We had something like this happen to a pit bull in our disc dog group and it turned out to be a bacterial infection in the spine. She had a large abscess in the muscle along her spine that was undetected by the initial MRI. Bacteria, depending on the type, can expel a variety of substances, some of them are actually neurotoxins and some bacteria can get into and live in the fluid along the spine. The close proximity of the abscess to the spine allowed not only bacterial toxins but perhaps bacteria itself to migrate to the spinal cord causing the paralysis. A spinal tap was need to know exactly how many types or what kind of bacteria we are dealing with. Hopefully this is not your case, but the symptoms seem close. Please take this as just information you can talk about your vet. We hope for the best outcome and a speedy recovery.

Edited by author Mon Mar 16, '09 12:47pm PST

[notify]
H

Barked: Mon Mar 16, '09 3:03pm PST 
Wow, I'm sorry this is happening, and I'm sorry the vet wasn't more helpful. Henry had a spine problem that came on slowly (as opposed to your case), and there were some very simple exam tests to determine it was a neurological problem (although the tests to determine exactly what kind of neurological problem it was, were complicated and expensive). Maybe the vet performed the tests and was just a very bad communicator. It seems almost unreal that a vet wouldn't take seriously a dog who suddenly loses use of his legs, so I hope it was just that he didn't do a very good job of explaining what you need to do next.

Again, I'm not an expert in any way, but in Henry's case, seeing a neurologist as soon as possible led to him finding an operable disc problem. Henry had the same surgery as Gunner and got back the use of his legs until his last few months. I would think that if it's an option financially, getting him to a neurologist as soon as possible would be very helpful. As far as I understand, it it's a problem that can be fixed, the sooner you get to a neurologist, the better his chances for recovery.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Edited by author Mon Mar 16, '09 3:09pm PST

[notify]