GO!

Heartgard overdose

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 9:41pm PST 
Mom was giving us our monthly dose of Heartgard Plus. Daisy got hers first and Mom was doing Sam's last. Well, Sam kinda fumbled his and Daisy got it instead. TWO doses!

We called the ER and they said she should be fine but to watch for neurological symptoms like being dizzy, stumbling, etc. If she has any of that we're to bring her in immediately. Luckily we're only 5 minutes away from them.

Any idea how long we should keep an eye on her? Since the medicine works fora month, would the symptoms show up later? Would it be just hours or days?It's been a couple of hours now and se seems ok so far. Anyone else have any experience with this?
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 5:24am PST 
I would look it up online for poss side effects and overdose and u should know what to be looking out for. I would say a couple days.
Did u have another dose for the other doggie?
I hate for u that that happened. I am always afraid that's going to happen when giving my dogs theirs. B/C for some reason my bulldog and doxie gobble there's right up but my lil girl scottie spits hers out so I have to put it in the back of her throat.

Good luck.
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 6:14am PST 
Should be a phone number on the box or container it came in for emergency or customer service...good luck !!........
Hugs & Farts
Thor..wave
[notify]

Rocket

Rocket's Red- Glare

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 6:55am PST 
I think there was a story here a while ago where a dog got into the box and ate them all. The owner called the vet and said there was no way to overdose on Heartgard. Let me try to find the thread.
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket's Red- Glare

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 6:58am PST 
Found the thread, Peaches. Click here and read through it.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/579596/1

A s to what this thread says, I don't think there's any need to worry about a double dosage of Heartgard this month. big grin
[notify]
Bailey

Poo is yummy!

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 7:19am PST 
When bailey was a pup she ate Sam's dose one month. She was like 4 pounds and he was 50. Our vet said she would be fine, and she was.

Just keep an eye on her, I am sure everything will be ok.
[notify]
Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 8:36am PST 
Thanks for all the advice pups! I read that other thread, too (thanks, Rocket!) and feel a lot better about it. She's still acting just fine so maybe she'll be alright but we're definitely keeping a close eye on her. Guess we're going to have to do a lot more training work on "drop it" and "leave it" because she flat out refused to do either one and swallowed it quickly when I tried to take it from her, the brat. BOL!

I looked on the box and if there's a number, the vet covered it with the prescription label. It's probably on the information insert but I always throw that away without looking at it. red face I can check their website, though.

Luckily, we did have an extra dose for Sam. And our vet is running a promo special this month where we get 2 extra doses when you buy a box of 6.

Thanks again, pups!
[notify]
Abigail

Cuddlebug. - That's me!

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 8:43am PST 
You could also get a liver supplement like milk thistle and check on how much she should get to protect her liver.
[notify]
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 1:09pm PST 
I would start adding some long grain rice to kibble and reduce kibble to help prevent possible diarreah and increase liquides. HeartGuard contains pesticides. You can add a teaspoon of ice cream or table cream to water to get her to drink more. Tuna juice or salmon juice from the can works well too. Same as bovril or any soup broth. The extra liquids will help flush the system. The rice will also add extra liquid into her system and help to settle the intestines and colon of pain and discomfort if it is to become irritated.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 3:34pm PST 
My vet said that a dog could eat every heartgard tablet and chewable in his office and it wouldn't hurt them. He said you can't OD on it. I wouldn't worry about it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2