GO!

POISONOUS TO DOGS -- TEA TREE OIL

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Momo (formal- name: - Cozmo)

Happiness is- Just a Thing- called Mo

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 11:43am PST 
Maybe you all know this already, but I just learned it the hard way: TEA TREE OIL IS POISONOUS TO DOGS AND CATS. My dog Momo is okay now, but I STUPIDLY put some tea tree oil on his paws and a few hours later, he could not stand up. We rushed to the vet ER and he required IV flushing, activated charcoal, discussion with Poison Control, overnight monitoring, and an extreme bath. I have since researched this online and apparently it is widely known to be toxic -- so this is not unique to my dog. SOMETIMES it is used in very diluted amounts in dog shampoo and as a flea or tick repellent; but personally, I would urge you to research it before using it IN ANY AMOUNT. (That is what I should have done!) It is just as dangerous when it is absorbed through the skin as when it is ingested orally and causes NEUROLOGICAL REACTIONS and can cause LIVER DAMAGE. THANK GOD there was a good doctor at the ER that night to make up for my own idiocy. Anyway, I hope this will prevent this from happening to everyone elses pets....Oddly enough, it is not included on any of the lists of things that are toxic to dogs...if we have a list, maybe we should add it....THANK YOU.
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 12:10pm PST 
That's odd, I HAVE used tea tree spray that helps with irritated skin on Tessa without problems. I've seen lots of stuff with tea tree in it.
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 12:33pm PST 
I have used tea tree products for many years on my dogs with no ill effect. Now I never used it pure. It has always been diluted. I have bought products for dogs that have tea tree oil and have made things (soaps/ointments) with tea tree oil in it. The point is how much... Too much of some things are bad, but in small amounts is fine.

I would get sick if I eat too much chocolate. But that doesn't necessarily mean I should never eat chocolate.

Sorry your dog is not well though. I hope for a speedy recovery.
[notify]

Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 5:24pm PST 
Thank you for the heads up. I recently found a wart on Lily and several websites said to use TTO to shrink them. I have used it two nights, but I will switch to Vitamin E tonight.

I did notice that it has faded her hair in just two uses. The wart is in one of her red spots, so now have one more shade.

Edited by author Thu Jan 22, '09 5:35pm PST

[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 6:39pm PST 
we recently bought tto shampoo for our boys (dogs) & even used it on our cat skitty a couple of days ago but knowing that i will definately stop. i figure better to be safe then sorry...thanks for the heads up.
[notify]
Momo (formal- name: - Cozmo)

Happiness is- Just a Thing- called Mo

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 6:51pm PST 
Hope this is useful to you all. Tea tree oil is powerful stuff. Yes, in diluted forms it may have some beneficial effects for larger animals...I would be really careful, however, how much you put on your pets, especially small ones. To whomever made the point about chocolate: your analogy is a bit of a Freudian slip, as I would not give my dog ANY chocolate. LOL I know you werent referring to dogs and chocolate, but you have made my point for me anyway: even a small amount of something -- in this case, Tea tree oil -- can be toxic. DONT take my word for it! Google before using, thats all. Another lesson I learned is that HOLISTIC does not mean DO IT YOURSELF! A powerful holistic remedy needs expert supervision, just as a powerful non-holistic one does. MY DOG IS FINE NOW, THANKS ALL FOR ASKING. xo
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 6:56pm PST 
I would be careful of using many essential oils on cats especially. I know that many oils including tea tree oil, peppermint oil, lemon oil, lavender oil, and citronella oil are toxic to cats and since cats clean themselves they would ingest quite a bit of any substance used on the skin/fur.
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 12:08pm PST 
Lily-

Have you tried ACV for the wart? I know it works great for people, and I know ACV isn't harmful to dogs. My mom's friend had a wart on the palm of her hand. For three nights, she soaked a cotton ball in ACV, taped it to the palm of her hand, and slept with it there. She said it burned like hell. After the three nights, she just left it alone. Within a week, the wart turned black and kind of...fell off.

Just a though...don't know if it would work for a dog or not.
[notify]
Jax

I'm in!

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 12:20pm PST 
Interesting.....
I have used straight tea tree oil several times on Jax with no bad reaction from him (tho his vet did say to watch the area carefully, as it could be an irritant).
I have used it on hotspots and rashes, and it has cleared the skin quickly with very few applications.
[notify]
Sanford- Hawley

GO DAWGS!!!

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 12:27pm PST 
Sounds like maybe Momo just had a allergic reaction to it. I see it in all kinds of products for dogs such as shampoos and conditioners. Other Dogs have used and have not any reaction to it. Sanford has had Hot Spots or Hives in the past. I have put on a Teeny Drop and it has worked great
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2