GO!

Excessive Bowel Movements

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Joey

Jumping Joey

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 8:26pm PST 
Hello,
I have a 3 year old make Jack Russell Terrier; he goes to the bathroom at least 6 times a day; I have to constantly walk him and don't think this is quite normal. I feed him Purina dog chow, and have tried switching to other foods such as Pedigree and Eukanuba, but it doesn’t change anything. I have also asked my Vet about it and he sort of disregards the question. Does anyone know if this is normal or what could be causing this? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Jo Lana
[notify]
Spuds

Thinking of my- pal Troop!!

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 9:31pm PST 
Hi Joey!! I think you really should read the thread in food and nutrition:

So You Are Confused By Dog Food

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/5188 98

There are links to Dog food analysis and you can see the foods you have chosen have a lot of fillers in them. More fillers = more poop.

It's a really good source of info and I found it very helpful!!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 9:40pm PST 
Max used to have quite a large number of bowel movements a day. Each time he ate, he pooped. Fun at agility trials where he would get treats after his runs. Five runs, five poops.

Max has always been on 'premium' kibble and still had this issue. I thought it was just his system. He is down to one poop a day now he is on raw food. Just one more indicator that he was meant to eat raw I guess.

As posted above, look into feeding a food with fewer fillers. Fewer fillers, less stuff in the system to be pooped out.
[notify]

Joey

Jumping Joey

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 3:50pm PST 
Thank you both for your feedback! It is much appreciated.

I never heard of raw food, but I am going to look into it.

Thanks! puppy

Jo Lana
[notify]
Ava

Ava is my name- and chewing is- my game

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 4:00pm PST 
I use to poop a lot during the day when I was on food with grain. Then mom switch me to grain free, poops decreased to 3 a day. Mom learned about raw and I am a single pooper a day now and I might even skip a day. Mom also don't have to clean our poos up as much because they shrink up and crumble to sand in a day or two in summer.

I would really look in to the raw feeding forums here on dogster, The pups in there are great and have a ton of knowledge to spread.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 6:01pm PST 
All the foods you mentioned are very heavy on corn. That could be the reason for the excessive bowel activity.

Raw is great, but do your homework first. There are good posts by Gio in the Raw forum.

Grain free is good, though one of my dogs has larger poos on it.

But do consider a food with meat meal as the first ingredient - it's meat with the water removed, no corn, no wheat, no soy, no by-products, no pesticides and no menadione. whether it is GF or not. You will become a very good label reader.

The better foods are not found at a grocery store. I get mine at a feed store. I used to think they only carried horse things. I was wrong!
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 6:17pm PST 
corn fillers etc.. will make you poop poop poop.
Baron came to us he was fed Purina Beniful... he pooped 5 to 6 times a day.... All i could imagine was all the poop in the snow in my back yard.
I switched him to Blue buffaloe and withing a week he was pooping less.. 1 or 2 times a day and they were big for such a little dog. now he is eating innova puppy, and he still poops only once sometimes twice a day and they are medium size/

Less poops means he is not filling up on fillers and that he is getting more nutriants from his food. More going to his little body and less comeing out of his back end... Yippie....

laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Joey

Jumping Joey

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 7:17pm PST 
Hello All,
Thank you for your responses. I amgoing to look at the food topic forums as well. It was also recommended to me to try Eukanuba dog food- its has 0% fillers and they have a sensitive stomach type, so I may try it. Joey eats the Eukanuba when we visit his cousins so I know he'll like it!

Thank you again for all your responses. I greatly appreciate it! puppy
[notify]
Travis

Sleeping Soundly- -unless its time- to eat

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 8:33pm PST 
In my opinion Eukanuba is a good food. It is also a good idea not to leave food down all the time, because this can cause them to poo all the time. Feeding twice daily can help to cut down on the BMs. Good luck with the food switch, remember to mix your food gradually so you don't get an upset tummy.
hope you are pooping less in no timedog
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Wed Jan 14, '09 11:52am PST 
Since when is corn grits not a filler? Rice, too, for that matter, though in my opinion, it is a good filler. I find it interesting that Eukanuba doesn't post an ingredient list and guaranteed analysis of the food on their website. Read the posts on Eukanuba in Food & Nutrition before you change the little guy to another bag of corn.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2