GO!

how long can my dog stay out in the cold

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 9:35am PST 
She's a jack russell mix but the size of a beagle but has the one layer of broken/wire fur. I got her this snowsuit:
http://apparelandaccessories.petedge.com/Casual-Canine-Sn owsuits-ZA432.pro?parentCategoryId=189&categoryId=198&subCategoryId= 203

but didn't get any boots..i didn't think of them.

how long about do you think she can be outside in temperature of about 20-30F?

i have another dog who's part retriever and bc so he can be out long he loves this weather, and she'll try not to shiver and stuff. thank you.

ETA: forgot to add, this is for our walks, neither of my dogs are outdoor dogs.

Edited by author Wed Nov 19, '08 9:36am PST

[notify]
Nallah

*Retrieva Diva!*

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 9:52am PST 
As long as you have her protected with the snow suit she should be good for a while, at least a half hour or so. If you notice her shivering then its time to go in! 20-30 degrees isn't that bad, its the wind that gets to them!

Pay attention to the winds and your dogs body language. I would say if it gets any colder than 20 degrees to really watch closely and stay in close range of the house!

Nallah thrives in cold weather, it could be 30 below zero (which it is occasionally during winter in Wisconsin!) and she's begging to go out! laugh out loud
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 9:56am PST 
lol Nallah I feel wimpy, i am fureezing in this 20-30 weather!shock give me hot humid 90F any daybig grin

the wind does make it colder though.

thanks for the reply!
[notify]

♥- Smokey- ♥

I Want A Butt- Rub!

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 10:09am PST 
Smokey loves Wisconsin winters too! But Tigger (rat terrier) could not handle 20 degrees for longer than 15 minutes ... no matter what we tried! I would consider getting something to keep the feet warm. Tigger's feet get very cold very fast then he limps.
[notify]
Willy Moo

Pimpin ain't- easy

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 10:09am PST 
i think with the snow suit you should be fine for a good walk. the movement should keep your pup warm. just watch for her shivering or not wanting to walk anymore then you may need to get the booties for her feet on the cold ground but i would think her body should be ok!
[notify]
Mason

The skinny fat- dog!

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 7:25pm PST 
I think they all have very different tolerance levels. Mason will (when it is really cold) literally go right outside the door, pee, and sometimes poop right in the driveway! red face

He has more clothes than I do, and still hates cold weather! But he will lay down in the sun when it is 90 degrees out, and bask!

Maybe it is a body fat/size thing....your dog and Mason probably have similiar builds. Maybe it's just a small dog thing!
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 7:48pm PST 
I would think it would have to do with the difference between a single and a double coat. The fine insulation has to be a real warming factor. Retrievers are double coated, through not like the Northern breeds. So without a nice soft fleece coat, she may not be able to stay out too long, especially when she is not moving.
I made Lily one out of two layers of fleece last year. The one I bought was too stiff. She refused to walk in it. She may not need one now. Her own coat is much nicer this year.
[notify]