GO!

Hard lump on ribs.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

PHOENIX

doggerbloggy.blo- gspot.com

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 1:25am PST 
After his big dinner, my partner and I simultaneously noticed Phoenix had a lump in his left hand side, over his last or 2nd last rib. It's larger than a golf ball, but smaller than a tennis ball - it doesn't seem to move, and he flinches slightly when I try palpating it. I feel sure I would have noticed the lump growing - I rub them over and pat them all over their body each day, and I wonder how I could have missed it getting so large.

Naturally he will be on his way to the vet on Monday, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be? The only time he has been not like himself was on Monday, when he ran away chasing rabbits and wouldn't sit down afterward - he was off his food a little that night, but seemed fine once we returned home a few hours later. Might he have swallowed something? Run into/hit something that's caused a bump?

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Meeko

our little- boston- TERROR!!!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 3:17am PST 
good luck at the vets...you will be in our thoughts & prayers!!! please keep us postedwisheshugwisheshugwisheshugwisheshugwisheswisheshugwisheshugwisheshughugwishes|: |hughug
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 6:30am PST 
Lumps can mean all sorts of things, it's always best to get into the vet, better safe than sorry. wink

Hope it's nothing, odd that it seems to have shown up so out of the blue like that... thinking
[notify]

Murphy

Reverse-Tardis

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 1:15pm PST 
I hope you got good news from the Vet, keep us posted!
[notify]
Aiki

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 1:49pm PST 
Any chance it's a foxtail or a thorn of some sort? If it showed up this fast, it's likely an infection. I once got a nasty one from a blackberry thorn in my back. Is the lump warm at all?
[notify]
Luna, CGC

CATS ARE- *FRIENDS* - NOT FOOD!

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 4:14pm PST 
Luna had a lump on her side a few weeks back... someone mentioned a foxtail or something similar, but we don't have anything like that in our yard.

We took her in and it turned out to be a hematoma (blood clot) that was filled with ickies... they drained it with a needle and it shrank down to nothing over the next few weeks. There is just a tiny lump left that the vet said could take a while to go away.

Vet said it was from some sort of trauma, best I can figure is she got poked by a stick, ran into something or took a tooth from our foster dog to the side (they play pretty rough some times!)

Keep us posted!
[notify]
PHOENIX

doggerbloggy.blo- gspot.com

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 5:04pm PST 
Thanks for the support guys!

The vet tried draining the lump, and a few cells came out which they analysed but couldn't get a clear picture of what was going on. Quite a lot of a blood came out, but they were unsure if it was from the lump, or caught his skin on the way out. He's currently on Rimadyl as an anti-inflammatory (which unfortunately makes him vomit profusely and I wonder just how much he's getting from the tablet).

If it hasn't gone down by Thursday, he will be having xrays and an incision in the lump to see if they can get a better idea. They didn't rule out any nasties, as it's completely unmoveable and seems attached to bone, and can't understand why it grew so suddenly and is so hard.

So, really, I am hoping it's a hematoma or a lypoma, and that it starts to go down over the next few days (and that I can keep some meds down him).
[notify]
Meeko

our little- boston- TERROR!!!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 17, '08 12:13pm PST 
keep us posted...in the mean time big hugs & good thoughts coming at you!!!hughughugwisheswisheshug

Edited by author Mon Nov 17, '08 12:14pm PST

[notify]
SHELBY

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 3:51pm PST 
WHAT EVER HAPPENED WITH THE LUMP ON PHOENIX?? I THINK MY DOG HAS THE SAME, EXACT PROBLEM ON HER RIGHT SIDE. IT'S A RATHER LARGE, FIRM LUMP AT THE BOTTOM OF, OR RIGHT UNDERNEATH HER RIBS ON HER RIGHT SIDE. AS MUCH AS I PET AND GROOM HER, I FEEL I SHOULD HAVE NOTICED THIS BEFORE IT GOT SO BIG, UNLESS IT JUST SHOT UP OVERNIGHT! I AM CURIOUS AS TO WHAT HAPPENED WITH PHOENIX - WAS IT A HEMATOMA??
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sun Jan 2, '11 5:13am PST 
Sounds like a hematoma to me. Missy had one on the top half of her ribs after she was kicked very hard. It was pretty big and at first i had no idea what it was. The vet said they're caused by trauma and usually go on their own accord. Missy's lasted a good month or two but remained the same size and didn't cause her any issues. As the bruising on her lungs and around her ribs went down so to did the lump.
[notify]