GO!

Apple Cider Vinegar for dogs with skin issues?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 6:12pm PST 
It seems like somewhere I read that ACV is good for dogs with allergies and other skin conditions, is this true or did I misread? I'm wondering because we're (Daddy's vet and I)battling a mystery skin condition with Daddy; he's already on omega 3 fish oil tablets and I want to start giving both dogs ACV/ACV tablets as well since I've read they just have good health effects all around, but I'm particularly interested if they have any good effects on skin/allergies/dogs with skin conditions other than helping deter fleas.
[notify]
Barney-R.I.P

R.I.P my gorgous- boy

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 6:19pm PST 
I used this on Barney and I honestly never noticed a difference thinking
[notify]
Daddy

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 6:57pm PST 
Thanks. I found the article where I read it can help alleviate allergies (though I'm not sure if what Daddy has is allergies or not, I'm going to call his vet tommorow to schedule a skin-scrape/test, and I'm not sure if it helps to alleviate allergies by spraying it on the skin or giving it in food, or both). I may as well try it, we have some ACV in the kitchen (unfortunately not in capsule/tablet form), at the worst they will smell like a fresh salad laugh out loud.
[notify]

Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 7:24pm PST 
Hasn't helped with Moira. I only use it internally. She may be itching a little less, but she hasn't stopped.

I read somewhere to mix tea tree oil and water and spray on the dog. That is a last resort as tea tree oil because bothers me just like pine oil does and she sleeps with me. But tomorrow is the day for that experiment.
[notify]
Buster

It's all- bullsheets!

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 6:08am PST 
I put sulfodene on my dog for allergies and dry skin. Works wonders. I also give him an oatmeal bath.
[notify]
natty

miss no wanna

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 10:04am PST 
first make sure the vet does a scraping to see what if anything he finds. i had allergies really bad when my mom got me at age 3. first i had my thyroid checked and it was low, so was put on medication, then i was changed to a raw, grain free diet and i am just fine now. if you don't want to do raw that is fine, but good pet stores ( or online) do have grain free kibble and alot of dogs are allergic to grain so it may be worth a try.
[notify]
Daddy

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 5:02pm PST 
Thanks guys, and Natty, Daddy is already on a rotation diet that includes prey-model raw and only one grain-inclusive food (I included it in the mix because all the grain free foods I've been getting here in town and online except for Instinct have sweet potatoes, and I don't want to over-expose him to them lest he develop an allergy to them), but right now until the skin problem is figured out he's on a special allergy food (Natural Balance grain free allergy Venison & Sweet Potato formula). He should be getting his skin scrape in about a week. I'm just wondering what, if anything, I can do in the meantime to help his discomfort, and better yet, something to use other than the harsh steroid medicine he was on.

Edited by author Sun Oct 26, '08 5:02pm PST

[notify]
Lily a.k.a.- Lil'Pup

I get to come- too.....right?

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 12:52pm PST 
daddy, tell your mom......

In order to take advantage of it's health benefits, ACV must be administered in the RAW/UNFILTERED/UNPASTEURIZED state, "mother" intact. The "mother" holds all the key nutrients and benefits of ACV, it is the dark icky sediment at the bottom of the jar.

ACV has many, many healthful benefits, it is great for inflamation, (think arthritis), works great as an ear solution, it is great for keeping the body's pH in balance, it helps w/ digestion, ie. keeps you clean, keeps you healthy, and it is awesome for the skin! In terms of it's awesomeness, it is variable.......ACV will limit the growth of yeast cells, it will soothe rashes from sun exposure/rashes/hot spots, it does help to repel/kill fleas, and it will kill bacteria. Identifying your skin problem is key, albeit tricky. Best of luck on diagnosing daddy's problem, but do not rule out one of nature's greatest superfoods.

ACV can be added to drinking water, it will help keep breath kissable since it kills bacteria. It can also be added to food. Topically, you can bathe in it, you can sponge it on, spray it on, or dab it on a localized area. For application directly to the skin (especially irritated skin), you will want to dilute it in DISTILLED H2O, as it can cause minor discomfort or burning to irritated/sensitive skin.

We buy Bragg's organic from the health food store, mom even slips it into hot tea/water w/ honey and lemon when she is feeling bad. It even helps give a burst of energy.

Best of luck!
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 8:36am PST 
Lily is right... regular ACV that you like... put on your french fries or whatever is not the same ACV everyone is talking about when using it for health benefits.

Kolbe gets really bad seasonal allergies... particularly summer, when the grass is growing in full swing.

I buy a bottle of Bragg's raw organic Apple Cider Vinegar... I got mine at the health store (GNC) but I noticed my grocery store recently started carrying it. It was about $4.00 for a bottle.

I then took a spray bottle, and did 1/4 ACV, 3/4 water. Each day I would spritz down Kolbe's feet and stomach. I noticed a major difference this past summer... she used to get BEET RED, constantly licking... she stayed white as snow this summer.

I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone.... definitely was a savior for us. I had previously been giving Benadryl but all that did was make her stop licking, not improve skin quality... plus I don't like giving the dogs drugs if there's an alternative. Worth a shot... bottle of Bragg's isn't too expensive, and if it doesn't help Daddy, you could always use it.
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 6:04pm PST 
Hey Daddy , maybe this will help , I used ACV on my two gangsters for over a decade , we used it for ears and to prevent skin problems . First it must be the type you find in a health store , with the core or mother in it , its dark in color and has floaties in it .
For the ears , we used a gentle cleaner, then used a cotton ball to clean . Then another cotton ball with straight ACV on it and gave it a swipe inside the ear and let it dry on its own .. never had ear problems .
For skin , for a trouble area hot spot etc , we would mix in a sprayer , say about 60% ACV / 40% water and spray on area of skin and use fingers to rub in real good , maybe 3 times a day ...we didnt have to do that often because every other month at bath time , after using a gentle shampoo and towel dry , we would use the same mixture, and pour it over them and rub in well.., and then pat dry only , and yep they had that smell on them for a few days,,but no skin problems ..ever , and Bullies are noted for skin and ear problems . So here is a link below you can check out . Remember for ears / straight ACV , never put water in a dogs ear. For skin do a mixture . I also read where some doggies put it into their food & water, my guys would never touch the stuff when we tried that ......
http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html
Good Luck
Rommel & Thor....wave
PS . If you do a "quick search" on the forum for ACV you will get 100's
of posting about what people have said about ACV
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2