GO!

Itchy Face

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 12:10pm PST 
I was at the vet today getting my rabies booster and Mom asked Dr. Jones about my itchy face. She said I most likely have a mild allergy, and if needed Mom could give me Benadryl. I don't do well on Benadryl (stomach upset, panting, vomiting), so we are hoping for some other suggestions.

I currently eat TOTW Salmon, but I had an itchy face on TOTW High Prairie, Canidae Lamb & Rice, and some crappy Royal Canin brand too. So Mom doesn't think it is a food allergy. I get a bath fairly frequently (about once a month as needed) with a mild oatmeal shampoo. I do not have fleas (we use Frontline Plus), and my skin is not dry.

But every day I paw at my face along the sides of my snout. I will also rub my snout along the carpet and the side of the couch to itch it.

Any suggestions?
[notify]
Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 3:49pm PST 
Any pups with home, dietary, etc. remedies?

Thanks!
[notify]
Cracker

Dog About- Rosedale

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 4:41pm PST 
Is there any hair loss where you rub your face?
Did you ask the vet whether it could be demodex?
Did you have your teeth and nose checked?

I don't have any suggestions for alternatives to the benadryl. Sorry.

Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 5:27pm PST 
No there is no hair loss, and my nose itself is fine. My teeth are very healthy with very little plaque or other issues.

We did not ask if it was demodex, but it does not appear like any pictures of demodex that we have seen.

The skin itself has a very normal appearance, and the itching has gone on for at least six months.

Edited by author Wed Oct 15, '08 5:29pm PST

[notify]
Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 5:34pm PST 
Our vet told us that Benadryl was a basic allergy med that most dogs are ok on but some aren't. They actually recommend Claritin, Tavist and one other that I don't recall right now. Maybe one of those would work for you - the vet could give you the right dosage.
[notify]
Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Wed Oct 15, '08 5:48pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions Cracker and Peaches!

Mom was hoping not to have to give me antihistamines to avoid side effects and drowsiness, but of course if it is necessary she will (she takes over the counter Claritin for her own allergies).

Has anyone heard of any food supplements that can aid in allergy relief?
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 9:56pm PST 
How long have u been on that new food?
And, do u give ANY other treats?
When switching food for food allergy u need to illiminate all treats or chews for a few weeks to see if the itching gets better or stops,
if so then u will know!
And, then u can add little things in the diet one at a time.
The vet says it can take up to 6 weeks when trying to see if diet is the allergy problem.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 9:59pm PST 
U can try fish oil capsules for skin!
or try Chlorpheniramine allergy meds
I went thru the same thing w/Brodie....pink itchy face.
I think he can not have anything w/chicken at all..chicken fat, chicken meal CHICKEN anything!
So, we went to Nat Balance sweet potato and fish finally.

Be sure to check all the teeth. Allee used to do the same thing, and now that we found her tooth fracture and had it removed- i figured that could have been the reason, that tooth bothering her.

Edited by author Thu Oct 16, '08 10:03pm PST

[notify]
Kinnick

Big Lovable- Goof!

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 3:57am PST 
Brodie-

I have been on my new food (TOTW) for about two months.

But Mom just realized that she is guilty of the treat thing.red face She was so worried about switching the food that she didn't even think about the treats! That could definitely be the culprit! No more treats for me for awhile! frown

And my teethers are super!

Mom was thinking about adding fish oil to our food anyway, so maybe she will go check that out!

Thanks so much Brodie Bear!!!

way to go
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 8:38am PST 
K, no problem!
When we switched Brodie's food we cut out all treats.
U can give him pieces of his doggie food for treats and he will still think he is getting something special.
I had to do the same with my other 2 dogs.
However, I still gave them their hooves to chew on, b/c Brodie loved them so much...they didn't seem to make him itchy, but after noticing Allee and Bama's teeth fractures and their surgery, I can not give hooves any more.

I got them some different dental chews. Last night Brodie seemed pink on his belly. And, it may be from the chew. I think that one of them has chicken as one of the ingredients. the others that I got are just fish oils, etc so maybe they will be ok.

Just cut out the treats for a few weeks and see what happens.
Then u can add them back in.

I even tried feeding Brodie some of the other doggies food one
night just to see, and he got all pink and was rolling around trying to scratch!

Good luck I know how irritating it can be!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2